Two missionaries in Argentina die of accidental asphyxiation

Funeral services were recently conducted in Argentina and Holly Springs, Miss., for two missionaries who died of accidental asphyxiation on May 28 at their living quarters in Comodoro Rivadavia, Argentina.

Agricol Lozano, president of the Argentina Bahia Blanca Mission, said Sister Yunette Harris, 22, of Memphis, Tenn., and Sister Gabriela Maria Cristina Nieva, 21, of Godoy Cruz, Mendoza, Argentina, were asphyxiated while they slept. Fumes from a malfunctioning gas heater were the cause of death. Their bodies were discovered after they failed to show up for Church services later in the day.Sister Harris had been serving in the mission for the past nine months and Sister Nieva for just two months.

Representing the First Presidency at the May 30 funeral services for Sister Nieva was Elder Waldo P. Call, a member of the Second Quorum of the Seventy and South America South Area president. Elder Rex D. Pinegar, a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy and North America Southeast Area president, represented the Church at the services for Sister Harris on June 4.

Subscribe for free and get daily or weekly updates straight to your inbox
The three things you need to know everyday
Highlights from the last week to keep you informed