In his conference-concluding address Sunday afternoon, Oct. 6, President Russell M. Nelson listed the temple recommend interview questions — including some recently revised for clarity — that Latter-day Saints are asked by local leaders to confirm their worthiness and readiness to enter the temple.
What are temple recommend questions used for?
“The Lord wants all His children to partake of the eternal blessings available in His temple,” President Nelson said. “He has directed what each person must do to qualify to enter His holy house.”
List of temple recommend interview questions
The questions from the temple recommend interview, as recited by President Nelson, are:
1. Do you have faith in and a testimony of God, the Eternal Father; His Son, Jesus Christ; and the Holy Ghost?
2. Do you have a testimony of the Atonement of Jesus Christ and of His role as your Savior and Redeemer?
3. Do you have a testimony of the Restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ?
4. Do you sustain the President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as the prophet, seer, and revelator and as the only person on the earth authorized to exercise all priesthood keys?
Do you sustain the members of the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles as prophets, seers, and revelators?
Do you sustain the other General Authorities and local leaders of the Church?
5. The Lord has said that all things are to be “done in cleanliness” before Him (Doctrine and Covenants 42:41).
Do you strive for moral cleanliness in your thoughts and behavior?
Do you obey God’s law of chastity?
6. Do you follow the teachings of the Church of Jesus Christ in your private and public behavior with members of your family and others?
7. Do you support or promote any teachings, practices, or doctrine contrary to those of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?
8. Do you strive to keep the Sabbath day holy, both at home and at church; attend your meetings; prepare for and worthily partake of the sacrament; and live your life in harmony with the laws and commandments of the gospel?
9. Do you strive to be honest in all that you do?
10. Are you a full-tithe payer?
11. Do you understand and obey the Word of Wisdom?
12. Do you have any financial or other obligations to a former spouse or to children?
If yes, are you current in meeting those obligations?
13. Do you keep the covenants that you made in the temple, including wearing the temple garment as instructed in the endowment?
14. Are there serious sins in your life that need to be resolved with priesthood authorities as part of your repentance?
15. Do you consider yourself worthy to enter the Lord’s house and participate in temple ordinances?
Who conducts temple recommend interviews?
To obtain a temple recommend, Latter-day Saints have two such interviews — first with a bishop, bishopric counselor or branch president, then with a stake or mission president or one of his counselors.
The revised temple recommend questions will be distributed to Church leaders throughout the world on Monday, President Nelson added.
In the Saturday evening general women’s session, President Nelson spoke on temples, explaining that in the holy temple, women are authorized to perform and officiate in priesthood ordinances every time they attend.
“All our efforts to minister to each other, proclaim the gospel, perfect the Saints, and redeem the dead converge in the holy temple,” he said.
In the same session, President Nelson also announced eight new temple locations.