The first episode in the Book of Mormon video series has been released.
Opening with a scene of Jerusalem set at about 600 B.C., the video shows the first and second chapters from the first book of Nephi in the Book of Mormon. In these chapters, the prophet Lehi receives a vision that the city of Jerusalem will be destroyed because of their wickedness.
Although Lehi attempts to warn the people, he is mocked for his teachings and is directed by the Lord to flee to the wilderness with his family.
The filming of the video series has taken place at the Church’s Motion Picture Studio in Provo, Utah, and at the “Jerusalem Movie Set” in Goshen, Utah. The Church is currently shooting the third season of Book of Mormon videos, which includes content from King Benjamin to the time of Alma the Younger.
President Russell M. Nelson tweeted about the Book of Mormon video series on Sept. 20, and how he hopes that they will support members' studies of the scripture — in 2020, the "Come, Follow Me" curriculum will focus on the Book of Mormon.
I am happy to share with you information about the release of the new Book of Mormon Videos series.— Russell M. Nelson (@NelsonRussellM) September 20, 2019
Our desire is that these videos will not replace your scripture study but rather support and enhance your personal and family study of the Book of Mormon.https://t.co/qOFnr3DwMx
In a Church News article, Sister Reyna I Aburto, second counselor in the Relief Society general presidency and a member of the video project's steering committee, spoke of how the new series of videos will help people have a closer connection with the Book of Mormon.
“This is going to make such a big difference in so many lives, because the truths that are contained can change lives. These videos are going to help with the process, because they hopefully are going to bring people to the book,” she said.
According to Newsroom, the release dates of subsequent Book of Mormon videos will be the following:
- September 27: Nephi Is Led by the Spirit to Obtain the Plates of Brass |1 Nephi 3–5
- October 4: Ishmael’s Household Joins Lehi’s Family | 1 Nephi 7
- October 11: Lehi Sees a Vision of the Tree of Life | 1 Nephi 8
- October 18: The Lord Guides Lehi’s Journey | 1 Nephi 16
- October 25: The Lord Commands Nephi to Build a Ship | 1 Nephi 17–18
- November 1: Lehi’s Family Sails to the Promised Land | 1 Nephi 18
- November 8: Lehi Gives His Family a Final Blessing | 2 Nephi 1–4
- November 15: The Nephites Separate from the Lamanites | 2 Nephi 5
- November 22: Jacob Teaches of the Atonement of Jesus Christ | 2 Nephi 6–10
- November 29: Nephi Teaches the Doctrine of Christ | 2 Nephi 31–32
- December 6: Nephi Records His Final Testimony | 2 Nephi 33
- December 13: Jacob Teaches about Pride and Chastity | Jacob 2–3
- December 20: Sherem Denies Christ | Jacob 7
- December 27: Enos Prays Mightily | Enos 1