Isaac Morley was one of the early settlers who helped establish Kirtland, Ohio. Shortly after building a small cabin in Kirtland in the early 1800s, Morley returned to his former home in Montague, Mass., and married Lucy Gunn. The newlyweds then traveled 600 miles by team and wagon back to Kirtland.
In The Heavens Resound, Milton V. Backman Jr. wrote: "Shortly after they began developing the virgin land, Isaac left his wife to serve in the War of 1812. According to family histories, Lucy remained alone in the forest, seldom seeing another human, and lived in constant fear of attack by wild beasts or roaming Indians. No other settlers lived near the Morley cabin, and there were no stores, post offices, church buildings, or mills nearby."After serving for 41 days in this second war for independence, Isaac Morley returned home, ill with chills and fever. He soon recovered, and the young couple resumed their labors. As the years passed, they cultivated a large farm and built a more commodious home. . . . During their first 17 years of married life in Kirtland, Lucy Morley gave birth to nine children. Of the seven who grew to maturity, the first six were girls and the last was a boy named after his father."
Isaac Morley was among the first three trustees elected in the township of Kirtland.
His name appears in Church history the first time in connection with the visit of the first four Mormon missionaries to the Kirtland area in late 1830. A few days after the missionaries taught Sidney Rigdon and others of his Campbellite congregation, they walked a few miles south to the outskirts of Kirtland, where they contacted some people of a communal society known as "the Family."
The "Family," which had settled on Isaac Morley's farm, held all things in common in an effort to return to what they perceived to be the teachings of the New Testament.
After the Prophet received the revelation known as Section 42, those of "the Family" who had joined the Church abandoned the communal concepts of the Family for "the more perfect law of the Lord."
When the four elders organized a branch of the Church that November, Isaac Morley was put in charge of the congregation.
On June 6, 1831, Isaac Morley was called as a counselor to Bishop Edward Partridge.