50 years ago
The dedication of the Idaho Falls Temple was announced by the First Presidency in the Aug. 25, 1945, issue of the Church News, with additional details on the event being given in the Sept. 1, 1945, edition of the paper.
Dedication dates were Sept. 23-25, with Church President George Albert Smith to preside. The temple was to be the eighth in operation.
According to the Church News, admission to the dedication sessions would require a card from priesthood leaders.
"Already a beautiful spot which has attracted thousands to Idaho Falls during the past two years, the Idaho Falls Temple, when dedicated and opened for endowment work, will be a center of interest to all members of the Church in Idaho.
"The Idaho temple city is proud of this attractive building, which rises gracefully upon the banks of the Snake River. The city officials have graded and paved roadways about the building, and the beautiful landscaping of the temple grounds adds to the general attractiveness."
Construction of the temple required 6,168 cubic yards of concrete and 271 tons of steel. Its exterior walls were faced with pure white cast stone.
Quote from the past
"The religion that we have espoused connects time with eternity, heaven with earth, this world with the next." - President John Taylor, in an address given Dec. 11, 1881, in the Assembly Hall on Temple Square.