Efforts increased to finish mill

Sunday, Feb. 28, 1847:

Earlier in the week, men had been put to work to repair the mill dam on Turkey Creek, but the project still had not been completed. To get the mill up and running as soon as possible, during an evening meeting of the Twelve and the high council, it was decided to employ all the available men in the settlement on Tuesday, March 2, to finish the repairs.

At the meeting, President Brigham Young gave some additional details concerning the vision of Joseph Smith that he experienced several days previous. He stated that besides seeing and conversing with the Prophet, he also saw in vision the pre-mortal life. "I saw how we were organized before we took tabernacles," he said, "and every man will be restored to that which he had then, and all will be satisfied."

Monday, March 1:

Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball, Orson Pratt, Willard Richards, and Ezra T. Benson met to give final instructions to Jedediah M. Grant before his departure for the East. In addition, Elder Grant was provided with a copy of President Young's "Word and Will of the Lord" revelation, and Willard Richards outfitted him with a packet of 30 letters.

Tuesday, March 2:

The Winter Quarters police force and their wives enjoyed an evening of festivity at the Council House. The Twelve were also invited.

Hosea Stout, captain of the community guard and the person responsible for the success of the ball, noted: "We had the Police, Twelve & Band present, and enjoyed ourselves uncommonly . . . by dancing, talking, eating sweet cakes . . . and some little preaching. . . . I preached a loud sermon on real Mormonism."

Around 11 p.m. his wife became ill, so he took her home, but returned to the party where he stayed until 3 a.m. Brother Stout, who was particularly hopeful that President Young and the Twelve would have a good time, seemed pleased at the outcome. He wrote, "It is almost unnecessary to say that the Twelve seemed to enjoy themselves well."

Wednesday, March 3:

The thawing conditions caused problems in various homes. For example, when Eliza R. Snow and Hannah H. Markham, wife of Stephen Markham, went to visit John and Desmodena Gleason, the Gleason's home began leaking. "It thaw'd so much that the water broke into the house like a torrent," Eliza wrote.

They found better conditions at the home of the Walker family. Returning late that night, Eliza was relieved to find the frost had "stiffened the mud" sufficiently to prevent leakage in her home. "We return'd to a cheerful fire . . . hay carpeting on the floor . . . good company . . .[and the home] dry shod."

Thursday, March 4:

During February, Mary Richards left Winter Quarters to visit the Burton and Hafen families. In August 1846, these families had left Council Bluffs and settled near the mouth of the Nishnabota River, some 60 miles south of Winter Quarters near the Iowa-Missouri border. They chose to spend the winter there hoping they could outfit themselves better for the journey by being closer to the Missouri markets.

Friday, March 5:

During the evening, while routinely patrolling the settlement, Hosea Stout discovered one of his guards was not at his post. He went immediately to Brigham Young's residence to report the matter, then went with President Young to the man's house.

They learned the man was attending a party at the Council House being hosted by President Young's brother Phineas. Brother Brigham and Captain Stout went to the party, where they found the guard and gave him a reprimand "in good humor" for neglecting his duty. Since they were at the party, the president and Brother Stout also took advantage of the situation and "danced one reel, and then . . . took a French Four," before making their exit. Hosea presumed the guard would also leave and return to his post, but instead, he remained at the party until it broke up and then went home. "

HeT never appeared [at his post] till one [a.m.] and then only to go and call up his relief," Stout noted.

Saturday, March 6:

President Young attended a meeting of the Twelve and the captains of the pioneer companies. The president, along with apostles Ezra T. Benson, Willard Richards and Orson Pratt addressed those assembled. President Young stated that their movements would "be dictated by the Spirit of God," promising that "if the brethren were humble and pliable all would be well."

Sources: The Diary of Hosea Stout, p. 239-40; Journal History of the Church; Andrew Jenson, LDS Biographical Encyclopedia 2:785-86; Journals of John D. Lee, pp. 104-112; Life Writings of Mary Haskin Parker Richards, p. 113; Manuscript History of Brigham Young, pp. 532-34; The Personal Writings of Eliza Roxcy Snow, pp. 155-56; Wilford Woodruff's Journal 3:138-40.

Sorry, no more articles available