BETA

Spotlight on historic sites

Fort Bridger, Wyo.

Established by legendary mountain man Jim Bridger, Fort Bridger was one of two main supply stations along the trail traversed by the Mormon pioneers in 1847. It later became a military post. The Church bought it in 1853, enlarged it and built a cobblestone wall around it, replacing Bridger's original stockade. In 1857, acting on false reports, the U.S. government sent an army to Great Salt Lake City intending to put down a supposed rebellion. As part of the resistance to the army's invasion, the fort was evacuated and burned on Sept. 27, 1857. A portion of the wall remains with a marker telling the story.

Fort Bridger Historic site is located six miles west of Lyman, Wyo., off Interstate 80.

Sorry, no more articles available