50 years ago
Approval of the design for the Los Angeles Temple, the Church's 11th, was announced in the Dec. 13, 1950, Church News.
"Monolithic concrete walls with cast stone exterior are planned, similar to the Idaho Falls Temple," the article noted.
"The central feature will be a high tower surmounted by a statue of the Angel Moroni sounding a trumpet as on the highest pinnacle of the Salt Lake Temple. . . .
"Gardens along the roof of the annex, a block U-shaped structure, and other plantings surrounding a large reflecting pool in the three-sided enclosure will enhance the beauty of the temple."
Construction was scheduled to begin as soon as working drawings and specifications could be completed.
The temple was dedicated March 11-14, 1956, by President David O. McKay.