125 years ago
The first four temples of the Church built in Utah were begun under the direction of President Brigham Young, culminating with the groundbreaking of the Logan Utah Temple on May 17, 1877.
A Comprehensive History of the Church by B.H. Roberts states that President Young attended the dedication of the St. George Temple on April 6, 1877 (Vol. 5, p. 507).
It continues: "After the dedication of this first temple, completed in the Rocky Mountains, by the church, President Young, when returning northward, dedicated the site of the Manti temple which had been previously chosen April 25th, President Brigham Young himself offering the dedicatory prayer. Less than a month later, May 17th, he directed the dedication of the site of the Logan temple, the venerable apostle, Orson Pratt, offering the dedicatory prayer; and John W. Young and Daniel H. Wells breaking the soil for the foundation. President Young delivered a brief address. Thus Brigham Young began the four temples so far erected in Utah, and lived to see the completion, and the dedication of one, the St. George Temple."
President Young, who died in 1877, broke ground for the Salt Lake Temple on Feb. 14, 1853; it was dedicated in 1893. The Logan Temple was dedicated in 1884, followed by the Manti Temple in 1888.