50 years ago
The first major pouring of concrete for the foundations of the Los Angeles California Temple began 50 years ago this week, according to an article in the Oct. 18, 1952, issue of Church News.
In one day more than 385 yards of cement filled the forms of one of the two large footings located in the center section of the huge excavation.
Working from dawn to dusk, workers poured tons of sand and gravel into the large stationary cement mixer. From the mixer the cement was delivered to a huge crane, which lowered bucket after bucket to waiting crews 25 feet below the surface.