50 years ago
A new steel bridge over the Missouri River in Omaha, Neb., was dedicated by President David O. McKay on June 1, 1953, according to the June 6, 1953, Church News.
The article recounted the history of the Church in the Winter Quarters area, including the building of a ferry under the direction of Brigham Young to transport pioneers across the river.
The article stated: "To commemorate these early-day Mormon pioneers and their traditional ideals, Omaha officials had directed the bridge be named the 'Mormon Pioneer Memorial Bridge.' When the name was selected it was the expressed wish of the North Omaha Bridge Commission that the General Authorities of the Church be on hand for its dedication."
Besides President McKay, many other General Authorities participated in the two-day dedicatory celebration, including President J. Reuben Clark Jr. of the First Presidency; President Joseph Fielding Smith, president of the Quorum of the Twelve; and members of the Quorum of the Twelve Elder Spencer W. Kimball, Elder Mark E. Petersen, Elder Matthew Cowley, Elder Delbert L. Stapley, Elder Marion G. Romney and Elder LeGrand Richards.