50 years ago
In ceremonies commemorating the arrival of the Mormon Battalion at San Diego, Calif., a historical marker was unveiled at Box Canyon near Julian, Calif., according to the Feb. 6, 1954, Church News.
The ceremonies were held "almost 107 years to the day since the troops first sighted the 'long-looked-for Pacific Ocean,' " on Jan. 30, 1847, the article stated. It continued, "A historical marker on which is mounted a plaque noting the achievements of the Battalion was unveiled near the spot where 'with crow bar and pick axe in hand the Battalion worked its way,' according to the commanding officer Col. Phillip St. George Cooke. A few days after cutting the road through the rugged coast mountains for their eight wagons," Battalion members arrived in San Diego.
Funds for the marker were provided by San Diego County. The event included participation by Church members, government leaders and historians.
The article mentioned that "still remaining on the walls of Box Canyon are the excavating marks made by the road building tools of the Mormon Battalion."