REXBURG, Idaho The newly constructed Thomas E. Ricks Building at BYU-Idaho was in operation as classes began for the winter semester Jan. 5. Located in the southeast area of campus, the L-shaped classroom building is 56,200 square feet in size. It includes 23 classrooms, 58 offices, four secretarial reception areas and a laboratory.
The dedication of the new edifice is scheduled for Feb. 18, with Elder David A. Bednar of the Quorum of the Twelve presiding. The two-level, brick facility houses the Department of Mathematics; Department of History, Geography and Political Science; Department of Psychology; and Department of Sociology and Social Work.
The building and adjacent horticultural gardens are named after Thomas E. Ricks, founder of Rexburg and the local Church leader who oversaw the establishment in 1888 of the Bannock Stake Academy that later became known as Ricks College.