NAUVOO, Ill. A sculpture of the Prophet Joseph Smith and his brother Hyrum, installed in 2003 just west of the Nauvoo Illinois Temple, was dedicated July 8 by Elder Donald L. Staheli of the Seventy. A gathering of about 200 observers attended the service.
The sculpture depicts the brothers on horseback at the moment they were leaving Nauvoo en route to Carthage, where they were martyred on June 27, 1844. The dedication this month coincides with the observance this year of the 200th anniversary of the Prophet's birth.
Present at the dedication were Utah artists Stan Watts, who sculpted the figures, and Kim Corpany, who sculpted the horses. The statue was created with funds provided by many donors.
Pat Davis, director of Nauvoo Productions, conducted a choir of Historic Nauvoo's Young Performing Missionaries, accompanied by violins and flute performing "Praise to the Man" and "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief."
President J. Samuel Park of the Illinois Nauvoo Mission conducted the service. Also attending were Elder Douglas L. Callister of the Seventy; F. Michael Watson, secretary to the First Presidency; Elder Robert E. Wells, emeritus General Authority; and Nauvoo Temple President David Wirthlin. Sister Sally D. Larson