Several LDS college football players have received national recognition for their outstanding play during the 2006 season.
- University of Utah senior defensive back Eric Weddle was named a first team All-American by several organizations, including the American Football Coaches Association, Rivals.com, SI.com, CBSSportsline.com and The Sporting News. He was also placed on the Associated Press All-America second team.
A convert to the Church, Eric recorded 58 tackles and six interceptions for the Utes. He also scored eight touchdowns, finding the end zone while playing a variety of positions.
- Jonny Harline, a tight end at Brigham Young University, joined Weddle on the SI.com, CBSSportsline.com and The Sporting News first team All-America lists. He is also an AP third teamer. The returned missionary led the Cougars with 754 yards receiving and 11 touchdowns.
- BYU quarterback John Beck earned second team All-America honors by The Sporting News and was placed on SI.com's honorable mention list. A returned missionary, he finished his senior season with 30 touchdown passes.
- A returned missionary who plays on the offensive line, Utah's Tavo Tupola, was awarded honorable mention by SI.com.
- BYU defensive lineman Jan Jorgensen was selected as a third team freshman All-American by The Sporting News.