The Mormon Battalion was among groups honored with the Fort Moore Pioneer Memorial in Los Angeles, dedicated on July 3, 1958, with Elder Hugh B. Brown, then a member of the Quorum of the Twelve, offering the dedicatory prayer.
The 400-foot long monument at Fort Moore near the Los Angeles Civic Center was built in honor of "all pioneer groups of the area," according to the July 5, 1958, Church News.
A large amount of money was raised by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers through Church members' donations, and the Sons of Utah Pioneers also contributed. Funding was also provided by Los Angeles City and Los Angeles County.