Five "little" things that can fortify and strengthen marriages and families were listed by Elder Robert D. Hales of the Quorum of the Twelve during his CES fireside address Sunday, March 1.
1. Couples who build strong marriages and families know who they are. They know that they are a son or daughter of God and they set eternal goals to once again live with our Heavenly Father and His Son Jesus Christ. They strive to leave the ways of the natural man behind.
2. They know the doctrines of the gospel and the importance of temple ordinances and covenants. They know that keeping their covenants is necessary to achieve eternal goals.
3. They choose to obtain the eternal blessings of the kingdom of God rather that the temporal or temporary possessions of the world. They seek high ground and stay there.
4. Such couples realize that when they are sealed for time and all eternity, they have chosen an eternal companion. There is no need to look any further. Their courting days are over.
5. These couples think of one another before self. They grow together, and not apart, as they serve one another . . . and communicate with the Lord in prayer. They converse often with one another, thereby never letting little things become big things. . . . These couples seek one another's good and avoid selfishness, which suffocates spiritual sensitivity. . . . They work now to improve their relationship, knowing that they are not suddenly going to become nicer when they die. They cultivate a thoughtful, considerate spirit and love one another always.