BETA

Country information: Canada

Jan. 1, 2009: Est. population, 33,487,000; Members, 177,600; Stakes, 47; Wards, 324; Branches, 159; Missions, 8; Districts, 5; Temples, 6, announced,1; Percent LDS, .53, or one in 189.

At the northern end of North America, Canada is a confederation with a parliamentary democracy. It includes 10 provinces and three territories. Its population speaks English and French, and is Roman Catholic, 46 percent; and Protestant, 41 percent. In 2005, membership reached 166,442.

ALBERTA

Jan. 1, 2009: Est. population, 3,257,000; Members, 74,377; Stakes, 22; Wards, 174; Branches, 32; Missions, 2; Temples, 2, announced, 1; Percent LDS, 2.3, or one in 44.; North America Central Area.

The first known Latter-day Saints to enter what is now Alberta were Simeon F. Allen and his son Heber S. Allen of Hyrum, Utah, who contracted work in 1883 on the Canadian Pacific Railroad between Medicine Hat and Calgary. They were joined by other saints from Utah working on the contract.

A few years later in 1886, Cache Stake President Charles O. Card received permission from Church President John Taylor to investigate colonizing opportunities in southwestern Canada. At that time prosecution of polygamists in the Intermountain West was oppressing many saints' families, and Church officials sought to establish colonies outside the U.S. where these families could seek refuge to maintain their cohesiveness and economic stability. Card, accompanied by James W. Hendricks and Isaac E. D. Zundel, traveled to British Columbia in late September 1886. Unsuccessful in locating land there that was both arable and not already leased as ranches, the trio traveled eastward to Calgary. A Montana mountaineer had previously informed them of expansive buffalo plains south of that city. At present-day Stand Off the three men decided to establish a colony. They went back to Utah with plans to return to Stand Off the following year with a group of Saints ready to colonize new settlements.

Upon return to Alberta in April 1887, Card found that the land near Stand Off had been leased by others and was unavailable. A few days later while exploring land farther south near Lee's Creek, Card and companions met E. N. Barker and Herbert Donovan who described land at the edge of the Blood Indian Reserve that was available for settlement. The entourage investigated the land and decided to establish the new colony there. Saints from Utah began arriving in early May and June. The settlement and ward were first known as Card but later changed to Cardston.

The ward was organized on 7 October 1888 as part of the Cache Stake headquartered in Logan, Utah; John A. Woolf was called to serve as the first bishop.

In November 1888, Charles O. Card and Elders Francis M. Lyman and John W. Taylor of the Quorum of the Twelve visited Prime Minister John A. Macdonald in Ottawa. The trio presented a petition asking for government assistance for the newly established colony at Cardston. The petition requested help obtaining land for town sites, securing mineral, timber, and water rights, purchasing farm and grazing lands at a reduced rate, and establishing a post office. In addition, the petition requested transportation aid for immigrants, reduction of custom duties on imported goods, animals, and machinery and permission to practice plural marriage. Most of the requests were denied. Church President Wilford Woodruff and counselors George Q. Cannon and Joseph F. Smith visited the saints in Alberta in October and November 1889.

By October 1894, more than 674 members were living in the Cardston area. The Alberta Stake was organized the following year on 9 June with Charles O. Card as president.

During the 16 years following Cardston's establishment as the central LDS ecclesiastical center, migrating saints from Utah settled the communities of Taylorville, Kimball, Aetna, Woolford, Beazer, Leavitt, Mountain View, Caldwell, Orton, Frankburg, Magrath, Welling, Raymond, Stirling, Barnwell, and Taber. The construction of large irrigation canals was initiated in 1898 by a joint venture between the Alberta Railway and Irrigation Company and the Church. The company provided the capital investment and the Church supplied construction crews and teams. Laborers were paid in both cash and land/water rights. The irrigation projects were extremely vital to successful farming in the area. A large number of members from Utah and Idaho were attracted to the area with promises of agricultural development related to the irrigation projects. Church authorities issued calls to many families to migrate to southern Alberta. Many of them began arriving in April 1899.

Charles A. Magrath, president of the Alberta Irrigation Company, distributed seed to the Saints and encouraged them to begin growing sugar beets around 1899-1900. Three years later Jesse Knight and his sons, businessmen from Utah, built the Knight Sugar Factory in Raymond. In subsequent years the sugar beet industry shifted toward the Barnwell-Taber area.

The Alberta Stake was divided on 30 August 1903 to form the Taylor Stake with Heber S. Allen as president. The new stake included the wards in Magrath, Raymond, and Stirling.

In 1906 through the efforts of Alberta Stake president Edward J. Wood, the Church finalized purchase of the 66,500 acre Cochrane Ranch located a few miles north of Cardston. Resulting from this purchase came the last two LDS-established com-munities of Glenwood (1908) and Hillspring (1910).

The cornerstone for Alberta Stake's Tabernacle in Cardston was laid in August 1908. The building was dedicated on 5 August 1917 by Elder Hyrum M. Smith of the Quorum of the Twelve. A Church Academy was established in Raymond in 1908 as a joint educational venture bet-ween the Alberta and Taylor stakes. It was originally named Taylor Academy and opened in 1910, but later it was renamed Knight Academy in honor of the con-tributions of Jesse Knight and his family.

A temple in Cardston was announced in 1912, but not completed until 1923. It was one of the first temples whose architect-ural style departed from a traditional tower design. The temple was dedicated on 26-29 August 1923 by President Heber J. Grant. At the time, members numbered around 8,000. Edward J. Wood was appointed as temple president and served concurrently for many years as Alberta Stake president. The temple was rededicated in 1962 and 1991 after extensive renovations.

On 10 November 1921, the Lethbridge Stake was organized with Hugh B. Brown as president. He later served as a member of the Quorum of Twelve and counselor in the First Presidency.

The first known saints to live in Alberta's capital city Edmonton were Robert J. and Fannie Gordon and their family. They moved there in 1914. Latter-day Saint university students in Edmonton began associating and meeting together as a group around 1931. The first recorded official meeting of members occurred on 26 February 1933 at the home of Alfred and Mabel Strate. Two years later, a branch was organized with Strate as president. He was followed in 1939 by Nathan E. Tanner, later a member of the Quorum of the Twelve and counselor in the First Presidency. In 1941, the Western Canadian Mission was organized with Walter E. Miller as president. Mission headquarters were established in Edmonton. In 1960, the Alaskan-Canadian Mission was organized from a division of the Western Canadian Mission.

The first stake in Calgary was organized in 1953, followed seven years later in 1960 with a stake in Edmonton. Efforts at missionary work among the Indians living on the Blood Reserve immediately north of Cardston were sporadic until 1949 when Golden Buchanan, coordinator of the Church's Indian Relations Committee came to Cardston to organize the missionary work among the tribe. A separate branch was established there in 1964 with James Blackmore as president.

During the 20th Century three Latter-day Saints were elected to Parliament, all hailing from Alberta. John H. Blackmore served from 1935-1958 and Solon Low from 1945-1958. Both were leaders of the Social Credit Party. Grant Hill served from 1993 to 2004. Elder N. Eldon Tanner, later of the Quorum of Twelve and member of the First Presidency, was appointed speaker of the Alberta Legislature in 1935, and later Minister of Lands and Forests. In 1970, Church membership in Alberta stood at about 28,000.

The Church held a special fast in the U.S. and Canada in January 1985 to raise funds to alleviate famine in Ethiopia. The saints in Canada, with membership concentrated in Alberta, raised nearly $250,000. Tax laws prohibited the transfer of the funds to headquarters in the U.S., so the amount was donated to the Canadian Red Cross. Both the Alberta and Canadian governments matched the donations by Church members and the final total of $1 million was sent to Ethiopia. The Canadian Red Cross recognized the Church at a special banquet in Calgary for donating the largest amount in its history.

From 1988-1991, the Alberta Temple was closed for renovation and restoration. An open house was held for 10 days prior to rededication on 22-24 June 1991. About 40 members of the Alberta Provincial Legislature and provincial Premier Donald Getty toured the temple along with over 100,000 other visitors.

In July 1997, the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada recognized the LDS-founded town of Stirling as a National Historic Site. The designation identified Stirling as "the best surviving example of a Mormon agricultural village."

The Canada Edmonton Mission was organized on 1 July 1998. During a six-province tour of Canada in July-August of that year, President Gordon B. Hinckley visited the members in Edmonton and Lethbridge on 2 August. Also, that summer, a group of Church members and others interested in historical re-enactment, began a 735 mile wagon trek from Preston, Idaho, to Cardston to memorialize the early pioneers who settled Alberta. The caravan of 14 wagons and 90 people left Preston on 10 August and arrived in Cardston on 28 September.

The Edmonton Temple was dedicated on 11-12 December 1999 by President Gordon B. Hinckley. It was one of the first smaller scale temples constructed by the Church. At the time of dedication, Church membership in Alberta numbered about 63,000. The first Church Educational System satellite fireside broadcast hosted outside the United States was held in Calgary on 7 May 2000. Elder Dallin H. Oaks of the Quorum of the Twelve addressed the worldwide audience.

In 2001, Church member Greg Melchin of Calgary was appointed to the Alberta provincial cabinet to serve as Minister of Revenue. He had served previously in the Legislative Assembly since 1997.

Members in Alberta have diligently helped with community and Church humanitarian projects. In 2001, members of the Calgary East Stake made 132 bed quilts for the newly renovated Drop In Centre for homeless people. Five other stakes in the Calgary area committed to continue that project. In 2004, the young men and women of the Lethbridge West Stake assisted in Operation Mercury Hope, a humanitarian effort started by Cpl. Russell Storring of the Canadian Armed Forces. The project aids children in orphanages in developing countries where Canadian forces are stationed. The Lethbridge youth sorted, folded and boxed large quantities of goods donated to the project.

Alberta is included in the North America Central Area. Two missions headquartered in Calgary and Edmonton encompass the province. General Authorities from Alberta include: Presidents Hugh B. Brown and N. Eldon Tanner of the Quorum of the Twelve and the First Presidency, Presiding Bishop Victor L. Brown, and Elders William H. Bennett, Teddy E. Brewerton, Alexander B. Morrison, Lowell D. Wood, and Merlin R. Lybbert of the Seventy. Former Young Women General President Ardeth Kapp and Relief Society General President Elaine Jack were born in Alberta.

In 2002, membership reached 67,394; and 68,586 in 2003.

Sources: Alberta, Taylor, and Lethbridge stakes, Manuscript histories and historical reports, Church Archives; Andrew Jenson, Encyclopedic History of the Church, 1941; Lethbridge Stake, A History of the Church in Canada, 1968; Brigham Y. Card, et. al, The Mormon Presence in Canada, 1990; Donald G. Godfrey and Brigham Y. Card, The Diaries of Charles Ora Card: The Canadian Years, 1886-1903; Dennis A. Wright, et al., Regional Studies in LDS Church History: Western Canada, 2000; Robert M. Graham, "The Mormon Cultural Landscape at Stirling Agricultural Village, Alberta" APT Bulletin, The Journal of Preservation Technology, 32:2-3 (2001), 47-56; "Hundreds Greet Wagon Train in Cardston," Church News, 3 October 1998; "Day of Miracles Has Not Ceased," Church News, 13 May 2000; "Bedding Given to Homeless Shelter," Church News, 6 October 2001; "Latter-day Saints Serve in Alberta Cabinet," Ensign, October 2001; "Operation Mercury Hope," Church News, 12 June 2004.

Stakes — 22

(Listed alphabetically as of Oct. 1, 2009.)

No. / Name / Organized / First President

North America Central Area

211a / *Calgary Alberta, Calgary / 15 Nov 1953 / N. Eldon Tanner

1924 / Calgary Alberta East / 14 Feb 1993 / Geoffrey Bryan Grunewald

2540 / Calgary Alberta Foothills / 5 Dec 1999 / John N. Craig

416 / *Calgary Alberta North, Calgary North / 17 Apr 1966 / Gerald E. Melchin

1101 / Calgary Alberta South / 3 Feb 1980 / Clarence Lee Robertson

1031 / Calgary Alberta West / 27 May 1979 / Lynn Albert Rosenvall

35 / *Cardston Alberta, Alberta / 9 Jun 1895 / Charles O. Card

1455 / Cardston Alberta West / 13 Nov 1983 / Brent L. Nielson

655 / *Edmonton Alberta Bonnie Doon / 6 Nov 1983

655 / Edmonton Alberta East / 3 Nov 1974 / Bryant L. Stringham

1453 / Edmonton Alberta Millwoods / 6 Nov 1983 / Kenneth O. Higginbotham

2605 / Edmonton Alberta North / 9 Sep 2001 / Brent Allan Purnell

312 / *Edmonton Alberta Riverbend / 6 Nov 1983

*Edmonton Alberta, Edmonton / 15 Nov 1960 / Leroy Rollins

1560 / Fort Macleod Alberta / 29 Sep 1985 / Heber James Beazer

2449 / Grande Prairie Alberta / 12 Apr 1998 / Lenard R. Shaw

189 / *Lethbridge Alberta *Lethbridge / 15 Nov 1953

East Lethbridge / 28 Oct 1951 / Grant G. Woolley

667 / Lethbridge Alberta East / 24 Nov 1974 / Bryce C. Stringham

2405 / Lethbridge Alberta West / 26 Oct 1997 / David Paul Koegler

1199 / Magrath Alberta / 26 Oct 1980 / James Dickson Bridge

1998 / Medicine Hat Alberta / 20 Nov 1994 / Robert Albin Gehmlich

51 / *Raymond Alberta Taylor / 30 Aug 1903 / Heber S. Allen

1350 / Red Deer Alberta / 13 Jun 1982 / Dennis William Guenther

302 / *Taber Alberta, Taber / 11 Sep 1960 / Ray B. Evenson

Stakes discontinued

86 / Lethbridge / 10 Nov 1921 / Hugh B. Brown

Discontinued

15 Nov 1953 Calgary (No. 211a)

15 Nov 1953 Lethbridge (No. 189)

Missions — 2

(As of Oct. 1, 2009; shown with historical number.)

(36a) CANADA CALGARY MISSION

7044 Farrell Road SE

Calgary, Alberta T2H 0T2

Canada

(325) CANADA EDMONTON MISSION

8925 51st Avenue, Suite 305

Edmonton, Alberta T6E 5J3

Canada

BRITISH COLUMBIA

Jan. 1, 2009: Est. population, 4,254,000; Members, 28,343; Stakes, 8; Wards, 46; Branches, 30; Missions, 1; Districts, 1; Percent LDS, .67, or one in 151; North America Northwest Area.

Vancouver Island was one of several locations Brigham Young considered as a western settlement site for the Saints. In a letter to the members published on 1 November 1845, he mentioned the island as "one of many good locations for settlement on the Pacific." The letter sparked a petition by members in England that was submitted to Queen Victoria seeking support for the Mormons in settling the island. However, the petition was ignored, and no Latter-day Saint immigrants settled there until 1875. That year, Church member William and Maria Judson Copley and their three children settled at Shawigan. For the next 15 years they were the only members there. The first convert on the island was Anthony Maitland Stenhouse, a member of the legislative assembly of British Columbia who chose to resign from the assembly and be baptized in 1887. He became a vigorous defender of the faith, living in Cardston, Alberta, and eventually returning to his homeland of Great Britain. How Stenhouse came to join the Church is not known.

In 1886, Charles O. Card, president of the Cache Stake in Logan, Utah, James W. Hendricks, and Isaac E.D. Zundall went to British Columbia looking for a site for colonization. On 3 October of that year they held a sacrament meeting, likely the first in the province. On 15 March 1902, British Columbia came under the stewardship of the Northwestern States Mission. Seven missionaries, led by mission President Nephi Pratt, arrived in Victoria on 13 May 1903 and the Victoria Conference was organized the next day. Their first converts were members of the Copley family. Clara Copley was baptized on 10 July 1904 and Merian Copley on 6 August 1904. A Sunday School was organized, but was later dissolved when several families moved away. Melvin Oxspring moved his family from Vancouver to Victoria in 1937, contacted the Northwestern States Mission president, and subsequently had missionaries assigned to Victoria. A Sunday School was organized on 17 October 1937. There were not enough members in Victoria to form a branch until World War II brought more Latter-day Saints to the area. A dependent branch was organized in 1942 with Robert Gerber as president. It became an independent branch on 11 August 1946 with Rex Nielson as president. A second group began meeting in Nanaimo in 1946, and a branch was created there on 5 May 1948 with Samuel Dyson as president.

The first known members of the Church in the city of Vancouver were Edward Neill and his wife, who had joined the Church in Brisbane, Australia, and moved to Vancouver in 1903. The Vancouver Branch was organized on 12 February 1911 with Neill as president. In 1925, the branch purchased a building to serve as a chapel. The Vancouver Branch became a ward and was included in the newly created Seattle Stake on 31 July 1938. The northern portion of British Columbia became part of the Western Canadian Mission in 1941. The first meetinghouse to be built in British Columbia was in Creston. It was used for the first time on 2 May 1948. When the Vancouver District was created the following June, it included Vancouver, New Westminster, and Vancouver Island and the area was transferred to the Western Canadian Mission.

A new meetinghouse was dedicated in Vancouver on 1 August 1954. The Vancouver District was divided and the Victoria District was created on 2 August 1959, taking in all Church members living on Vancouver Island. The first stake in British Columbia was created on 21 November 1960 when the Vancouver District became the Vancouver Stake with wards in Vancouver (two), North Shore, New Westminster, Fleetwood, Richmond, White Rock, Langley, and Chilliwack. A growth spurt during the late 1960s and early 1970s came when a number of Latter-day Saint professors were hired at the University of Victoria, as well as others who came to this area. The second stake in British Columbia, the Victoria British Columbia Stake, was created on 9 February 1975 with wards in Victoria (two), Colwood, and Nanaimo and branches in Courtenay, Duncan, Port Alberni, Sidney, and Powell River.

The Canada Vancouver Mission was organized on 20 June 1974, an outgrowth of the Alaska-Canada Mission that had been created in 1960. Missionary work outside of Vancouver and Victoria expanded as the number of missionaries increased over the years, including missionary work in the native American preserves. In 1980, the Prince George District and the Terrace British Columbia District, were created in northern British Columbia to accommodate growth in membership. President Gordon B. Hinckley spoke to about 2,000 members during a visit to Victoria on 31 July 1998, and the next day to 6,000 in Vancouver and 1,600 in Prince George.

In 2002, membership reached 27,984.

Sources: Lethbridge Alberta Stake, A History of the Mormon Church in Canada, 1968; Times and Seasons, 1 November 1845; Northwestern States Mission, Manuscript history and historical reports, Church Archives; Western Canadian Mission, Manuscript history and historical reports, Church Archives; Seattle Stake, Manuscript history and historical reports, Church Archives; New Westminster Ward, Manuscript history and historical reports, Church Archives; Vancouver Stake, Meetinghouse dedication program, 1967, Church Archives; Robert J. McCue, "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and Vancouver Island: The Establishment and Growth of the Mormon Community," BC Studies, Summer, 1979; Giles H. Florence Jr., "No One Is an Island," Ensign, August 1990; Julie A. Dockstader, "LDS Roots Run Deep in Community," Church News, 22 August 1998; Canada Vancouver Mission, Manuscript History and historical reports, Church Archives; Donald G. Godfrey, and Brigham Y. Card, eds, Diaries of Charles Ora Card: the Canadian Years 1886-1903, 1993.

Stakes — 8

(Listed alphabetically as of Oct. 1, 2009.)

No. / Name / Organized/ First President

North America Northwest Area — 7

1980 / Abbottsford British Columbia / 12 Jun 1994 / Andrew Howard Rattray

2406 / Nanaimo British Columbia / 26 Oct 1997 / William Bert Nilsson

1905 / Prince George British Columbia / 26 Sep 1992 / A. Brice Gurney

1014 / *Surrey British Columbia / 12 Jun 1994

Vancouver B.C. South / 8 Apr 1979 / Richard Bulpitt

315 / *Vancouver British Columbia, Vancouver / 21 Nov 1960 / Ernest E. Jensen

709 / Vernon British Columbia / 12 Oct 1975 / James Ronald Burnham

679 / Victoria British Columbia / 9 Feb 1975 / Howard Lowell Biddulph

North America Central Area – 1

994 / Cranbrook British Columbia / 14 Jan 1979 / Brian James Erickson

Mission — 1

(As of Oct. 1, 2009; shown with historical number.)

(58) CANADA VANCOUVER MISSION

PO Box 149

Point Roberts, WA 98281

MANITOBA

Jan. 1, 2009: Est. population, 1,177,000; Members, 4,532; Stakes, 1; Wards, 7; Branches, 5; Missions, 1; Percent LDS, .4, or one in 260; North America Central Area.

The earliest known missionary work in Manitoba was done by Theodore Brandley who in company with Samuel Witmore, left Richfield, Utah, on 5 May 1884 to fill a mission. They were to preach to the Mennonites scattered in the northern United States and Manitoba, near what is now Winnipeg. There is no record of baptisms from their work. Brandley received an honorable release and returned home to Richfield on 22 October 1885.

The next missionary effort occurred on 29 November 1896 when President Charles O. Card of the Alberta Stake wrote to John Sherman, a Church member who migrated to Souris from Alberta. President Card asked Sherman if he should send missionaries. The response was positive and President Card called Neils Hansen to begin missionary work in Manitoba on 5 December 1896. On 23 January 1897, Hansen, along with missionaries William S. Baxter, J. G. Stuart, Alonzo G. Baker, Frank May, Alva M. Merkley, and Edward Leavitt prepared to depart for Brandon, Souris, and Winnipeg from Cardston, Alberta. Several converts migrated to Alberta to join the larger group of Saints.

On 20 July 1889, Manitoba was assigned to the Northern States Mission until 1 July 1919 when the Canadian Mission was organized and Manitoba was transferred to the new mission. The Manitoba conference was organized by 5 March 1901. In June 1906, the missionaries in Winnipeg began selling copies of the Book of Mormon. In August, when city officials insisted they pay a vendors license fee, the missionaries gave the books away, accepting any donations. A year later their efforts bore fruit, and five in the province were baptized. Many of the converts later moved to Latter-day Saint centers in other areas.

On 23 May 1909, the Winnipeg Sunday School was organized with 37 members. A year later a branch was organized in Winnipeg on 9 May 1910. A chapel was built and dedicated on 30 August 1914. When the branch was later reorganized on 26 March 1922, the first local member to serve as Winnipeg Branch President was Stanley N. Roberts.

Membership in the district in 1930 was 197, and included the Winnipeg Branch and the Bergland Branch. The branches had their chapel dedicated on 20 November 1925, the same day the branch was organized. The Brandon Branch was created on 3 July 1955, and a second branch in Winnipeg was created on 22 October 1961. Other branches were organized in Portage La Prairie, for U.S. Air Force personnel on 28 March 1954, Kenora by 24 March 1957, and Thompson on 5 January 1969.

On 20 March 1926, Elder Joseph Fielding Smith of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles visited Winnipeg for two days, and two years later, on 15 June 1928, Elder David O. McKay of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles also visited.

The Canada Winnipeg Mission was created on 1 March 1976 with about 4,200 members in four districts, including those in Saskatchewan and western Ontario. The Winnipeg Manitoba Stake was created 12 November 1978 by Elder L. Tom Perry of the Quorum of the Twelve. A new stake center was dedicated on November 1988, and stake membership reached 2,500.

At one of the largest gatherings ever in Manitoba on 4 August 1998, President Gordon B. Hinckley, accompanied by President Boyd K. Packer, acting president of the Quorum of the Twelve, spoke to about 1,500 members of the Winnipeg Stake and Fort Francis Ontario District.

Sources: Andrew Jenson, Encyclopedic History of the Church, 1941; Andrew Jensen, Biographical Encyclopedia, 1971; Melvin S. Tagg, A History of the Mormon Church in Canada, 1963; Hal Pruden, Mormons in Manitoba, 1988; Anna Brandley Ostlund, My Father, Theodore Brandley, 1961; Northern States Mission, Manuscript history and historical reports; Alberta Canada Stake, Manuscript history and historical reports; North Central States Mission, Manuscript history and historical reports.

Stake — 1

(Listed alphabetically as of Oct. 1, 2009.)

No. / Name / Organized / First President

North America Central Area

980 / Winnipeg Manitoba / 12 Nov 1978 / Lorne Leslie Clapson

Mission — 1

(As of Oct. 1, 2007; shown with historical number.)

(136) CANADA WINNIPEG MISSION

1661 Portage Avenue, #306

Winnipeg, Manitoba R3J 3T7

Canada

NEW BRUNSWICK

Jan. 1, 2009: Est. population, 752,800; Members, 2,944; Stakes, 1; Wards, 5; Branches, 1;Percent LDS, .4, or one in 256; North America Northeast Area; Canada Halifax Mission.

Missionary work in the Maritime provinces began in 1833 when Lyman E. Johnson and James Heriot began proselyting in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. Elder Johnson preached in Saint John, New Brunswick, in the spring of 1836 and later in Sackville, where he baptized 18 people and organized the first branch in the Maritimes.

Among those baptized in Sackville was Marriner W. Merrill, who later preached extensively in Canada and eventually became a member of the Quorum of the Twelve.

In 1920, a branch was organized in Saint John, New Brunswick. The branch was discontinued, and then reorganized and has been continuous since 1948. A meetinghouse was completed in 1954. The Fredericton Branch was organized in 1940, later discontinued and started again in 1957, and completed a meetinghouse in 1963. The Moncton Branch, created in 1966, included the Sackville area where the first branch of the Church in the Maritimes was created. Membership in this branch reached 160 in 1974. The Saint John New Brunswick Stake was created in 1988. Growth of the Church in the Maritimes has fluctuated over time, but the work of missionaries and members pushed efforts along in the 1990s. Membership in 1990 was 2,100. New Brunswick is in the temple district of the Halifax Nova Scotia Temple which was dedicated 14 November 1999.

In 2003, there were 2,272 members.

Sources: Encyclopedic History of the Church, by Andrew Jenson; A History of the Mormon Church in Canada, published in 1968 by the Lethbridge Alberta Stake under the direction of Dr. Melvin S. Tagg; Jack E. Jarrard, "Portrait of a New Mission," Church News, September 22, 1973; Eleanor Knowles, "The Saints in Canada's Maritime Provinces," Ensign, June 1974; "LDS in Canada — Growth through faithfulness," Church News, Oct. 23, 1983; Sheridan R. Sheffield, "Maritime provinces," Church News, October 24, 1992; Church News, May 23, 1998, Nov. 20, 1999.

Stake — 1

(Listed alphabetically as of Oct. 1, 2009.)

No. / Name / Organized / First President

North America Northeast Area

1698 / Saint John New Brunswick / 26 Jun 1988 / Blaine E. Hatt

NEWFOUNDLAND AND LABRADOR

Jan. 1, 2009: Est. population, 515,000; Members, 676; Branches, 5;Percent LDS, .13 or one in 762; North America Northeast Area; Canada Halifax Mission.

The First Presidency authorized S. Dilworth Young, president of the New England Mission on 2 July 1948, to commence missionary work in Newfoundland. Young sent a letter shortly thereafter, instructing Curtis Page and John M. Scowcroft to report to Newfoundland. In another letter dated 10 August 1948 from the First Presidency to President Young reported that no record of any previous mission work can be found for Newfoundland.

The missionaries began their work and made contact with Walter Newman and Wallace Smith a soldier from Ogden, Utah.

Pres. Young with Elder Milton R. Hunter of the First Council of the Seventy, flew to Newfoundland on 6 July 1949. In a meeting on 7 July 1949 attended by the missionaries, Pres. Young and Elder Hunter the Newfoundland District was organized with Elder Harold Daw as president. The first baptism in Newfoundland was Lavina Webber Mercer. She was baptized 13 August 1950 by L. Dale Hanks.

Elder Spencer W. Kimball of the Quorum of the Twelve visited Newfoundland on 28 May 1960 with President John E. Carr of the New England Mission while on a tour of the mission.

The St John's Branch in Newfoundland was created 7 February 1957 with 47 members under the Canada Halifax Mission. In 10 years, the branch grew to 92 members. The name changed to St. John's Newfoundland Branch on 1 December 1976. By 1988, there were 550 members in the three branches, St John's, Corner Brook organized on 19 March 1978 and Gander organized on 1 June 1981.

In 2002, membership reached 597; and 623 in 2003.

Sources: Andrew Jensen, Encyclopedic History of the Church, 1941; Melvin S. Tagg, A History of the Mormon Church in Canada, 1968; Eleanor Knowles, "The Saints in Canada's Maritime Provinces," Ensign, June 1974; New England Mission, Manuscript history and historical reports, Church Archives; Canadian Mission, Manuscript history and historical reports, Church Archives; Newfoundland District, Manuscript history and historical reports, Church Archives.

NOVA SCOTIA

Jan. 1 2009: Est. population, 938,000; Members, 4,807; Stakes, 1; Wards, 6; Branches, 14; Missions, 1; District 1; Temples, 1; Percent LDS, .5, or one in 195; North America Northeast Area.

Lyman E. Johnson and James Heriot began missionary work in the Maritime Provinces. They arrived in Nova Scotia in 1833. Benjamin Brown and Jesse W. Crosby left Nauvoo on 30 July 1843 for Nova Scotia. On 18 September 1843, a conference was held under the direction of district President Robert Dixon. By 14 November 1843, the Halifax Branch was created. On 5 April 1844, another conference was held at Preston, with members attending from Halifax branch as well as Preston and Onslow, Popes Harbour and Sheet Harbor.

Persecution followed the members and most left for the West. One group of 50, most of the Halifax Branch, traveled with their branch president, John A. Jost, aboard the ship Barque Halifax. The ship left Nova Scotia on 12 May 1855 and took the members on the first leg of their journey around Cape Horn to San Francisco. This exodus ended organized branches in the Maritimes until work resumed under President Nephi Jensen with the organization of the Canadian Mission on 1 July 1919.

When missionary work resumed, elders presided over groups in Halifax, Windsor, Glace Bay, Sydney, Kentville and New Glasgow. The Halifax Branch was organized on 6 July 1947 by then Mission President S. Dilworth Young. On 25 June 1958, Elder Mark E. Petersen of the Quorum of the Twelve and former missionary to Nova Scotia in 1920, participated in the ground breaking ceremony for a new meetinghouse in Halifax. The building was completed in January 1959. The New Glasgow Branch was organized on 9 June 1961 and the following day, the Sydney Branch was organized.

In 1959, converts were baptized in Bridgewater, and by 14 June 1961, it was organized as a branch. By 1967, the Bridgewater Branch had 135 members. A meetinghouse was begun July 1965 and dedicated in 1967. Membership in Nova Scotia was the most rapidly growing in Canada. With 250 members in 1972, it increased more than 800 percent in 10 years, reaching 2,331.

The Dartmouth Nova Scotia Stake was created on 12 May 1985. The Dartmouth/Halifax area in Nova Scotia continues to serve as the center of Church activity in the Maritimes.

President Gordon B. Hinckley visited Halifax on 12 February 1998 and spoke to some 2,000 members who had come from throughout the Maritime provinces.

The Halifax Nova Scotia Temple, located in the city of Dartmouth across the harbor from Halifax, was dedicated by President Hinckley on 14 November 1999.

Sources: Andrew Jenson, Encyclopedic History of the Church, 1941; Melvin S. Tagg, A History of the Mormon Church in Canada, 1968; Eleanor Knowles, "The Saints in Canada's Martime Provinces," Ensign, June 1974; New England Mission, Manuscript history and historical reports, Church Archives; Canadian Mission, Manuscript history and historical reports, Church Archives; Journal History, Church Library.

Stake — 1

(Listed alphabetically as of Oct. 1, 2009.)

No. / Name / Organized / First President

North America Northeast Area

1530 / Dartmouth Nova Scotia / 12 May 1985 / Terry Lee Livingstone

Mission — 1

(As of Oct. 1, 2009; shown with historical number.)

(107) CANADA HALIFAX MISSION

202 Brownlow Ave., Unit F, Bldg F

Dartmouth, Nova Scotia B3B 1T5

Canada

ONTARIO

Jan. 1, 2009: Est. population, 12,541,000; Members, 45,540; Stakes, 9; Wards, 61; Branches, 41; Missions, 2; Districts, 2; Temples, 1; Percent LDS, .36, or one in 275; North America Northeast Area.

Seeking ways to finance the publication of the Book of Mormon, the first members of the Church to enter Canada were Hiram Page and Oliver Cowdrey, who crossed the border from New York in the winter of 1829-30, even before the Church was organized. It is unknown if they did any missionary work. In 1830, Phineas H. Young, brother of Brigham Young, traveled to Earnestown, Upper Canada, now Ontario. Though not yet baptized, Young, a Methodist minister, preached about the Book of Mormon.

Joseph Smith Sr. and Don Carlos Smith entered Canada briefly in September 1830, visiting a few villages north of the St. Lawrence River. Early in June 1832 Phineas H. Young returned to Canada, this time as an ordained elder in the company of his brother Joseph, Elial Strong and Eleazer Miller. By December 1832, Brigham Young, in company with his brother Joseph, joined their brother Phineas to preach in Canada near Earnestown and Loughborough townships. Before the last of these missionaries left Canada, at least four branches had been organized. Missionaries organized a district in Toronto that was placed under the direction of John Taylor. Other missionaries soon followed, including Joseph Smith, who traveled to Mount Pleasant, Ontario, on 26 October 1833. He baptized 12 people and later visited Toronto in August 1837.

Two of the most successful missionaries were John E. Page and Parley P. Pratt. Page baptized almost a thousand converts and Pratt converted future Church leaders John Taylor (who later became president of the Church), Isaac Russell, John Snider, John Goodson, and Joseph Fielding. These last four helped start the highly successful work in Great Britain.

Between 1830 and 1850, an estimated 2,500 Canadians, mostly from Ontario, joined the Church. Most of these who remained faithful gathered with the Saints in the Great Basin. By 14 January 1861, there were only 74 Church members in Ontario.

Little work took place in eastern Canada until the Canadian Mission was re-opened on 22 April 1919 with conferences in Toronto, established 22 July 1919 and Ottawa, on 22 January 1920. President Heber J. Grant visited the Canadian Mission home in Toronto on 4 November 1919. Branches were organized in Toronto and Hamilton by December 1919. Other branches were organized in Kitchener, 1923; Ottawa, 1926; and St. Catherine's, 1933. The Oshawa Branch began on September 1947 after functioning off and on as a Sunday School since 1944. Membership in all of eastern Canada reached 1,974 in 1950.

The first meetinghouse in eastern Canada was dedicated by President Heber J. Grant in Toronto on 25 June 1939. The first stake in eastern Canada was organized on 14 August 1960, also in Toronto, while President Thomas S. Monson, was mission president. In attendance at the conference when the stake was created were 2,249 members, which constituted 92 percent of the new stake's membership. The Toronto Canada Temple was dedicated on 25 August 1990.

On 1 July 1993, Toronto's second mission, Canada Toronto East, was created. Because of the cosmopolitan makeup of the area, missionaries encounter people from upwards of 100 nations in the Toronto area. From Toronto, efforts to improve the image of the Church through the media led to a prime-time television series, "For All Seasons," across Canada in 1994, showcasing Latter-day Saint programs.

On 22 June 1986, President Thomas S. Monson of the First Presidency and Elder M. Russell Ballard of the Quorum of the Twelve created the Kitchener Ontario Stake, the 1,600th stake in the Church. They returned on 5 May 1996 to create the Sudbury Ontario Stake. President Monson and Elder Ballard had previously presided over Canadian missions.

On 9 August 1997, President Thomas S. Monson dedicated a marker placed in Bath, Ontario, by the Napanee Branch in honor of the founding of the first branch in Canada.

President Gordon B. Hinckley, accompanied by President Boyd K. Packer, acting president of the Quorum of the Twelve, visited Sudbury, on 5 August 1998. There President Hinckley spoke to 850 members. Later, in Hamilton, on 8 August, President Hinckley spoke to 12,000 people.

In commemoration of the 40th anniversary of the creation of the Toronto Canada Stake and the 10th anniversary of the Toronto temple, President Monson returned to Ontario on 19 August 2000 to dedicate a historical monument commemorating the contributions of early missionaries and members who served and lived in Upper Canada.

The Greater Toronto Public Affairs Council of the Church presented the first Canadian Family Values Awards on 17 January 2003, to Mayor Hazel McCallion, a 20-year mayor; Father Thomas Rosica, a Catholic priest; and Dolina Smith, an anti-pornography and abuse activist.

In 2003, there were 43,189 members.

Sources: Andrew Jenson, Encyclopedic History of the Church, 1941; Melvin S. Tagg, A History of the Mormon Church in Canada, 1968; Richard E. Bennett, "Canada: From Struggling Seed, the Church has Risen to Branching Maple," Ensign, September 1988; Richard Robertson, "Toronto, a Growing Light in the East," Ensign, September 1988; Dell Van Orden, "Our Treasure, a New Temple is Dedicated" and "Past Legacy Builds Today's Faith," Church News, 1 September 1990; William B. Smart, "Church Begins Series on TV Across Canada," Church News, 5 February 1994; Gerry Avant, "LDS Stalwarts in Upper Canada are Remembered," Church News, 26 August 2000; John Farrington, "Family Values Honored in Canada," Church News, 8 February 2003; Canadian Mission, Church Archives; Journal History, Church Library.

Stakes — 9

(Listed alphabetically as of Oct. 1, 2009.)

No. / Name / Organized / First President

North America Northeast Area

1222 / Brampton Ontario / 11 Jan 1981 / Cecil Malcolm Warner

524 / *Hamilton Ontario Niagara / 6 Sep 1970 / Eldon C. Olsen

1600 / Kitchener Ontario / 22 Jun 1986 / Graeme K. Hingston

752 / London Ontario / 11 Apr 1976 / Harold Crookell

1907 / Mississauga Ontario / 18 Oct 1992 / Lawrence R. Fuller

761 / *Oshawa Ontario / 22 Jun 1986

Toronto Ontario / East 13 Jun 1976 / John Bruce Smith

796 / Ottawa Ontario / 12 Dec 1976 / Boyden E. Lee

2194 / Sudbury Ontario / 05 May 1996 / G. Boyd McGinn

300 / *Toronto Ontario, Toronto / 14 Aug 1960 / William M. Davies

Missions — 2

(As of Oct. 1, 2009; shown with historical number.)

(285) CANADA TORONTO EAST MISSION

24 Ferrand Dr. Ste 300

Don Mills, Ontario M3C 3V4

Canada

(23a) CANADA TORONTO WEST MISSION

197 Country Court Blvd Ste 203

Brampton, Ontario L6W 4P6

Canada

PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND

Jan. 1, 2009: Est. population, 138,000; Members, 409; Branches, 3;Percent LDS, .3, or one in 337; North America Northeast Area; Canada Halifax Mission.

The first missionary to preach in the province was John Skerry who came to Prince Edward Island in 1845 from Halifax. After baptizing about 12 individuals, Skerry organized branches in Bedeque and Charlottetown. By March 1846 there were about 21 members on the island.

Apostle Wilford Woodruff visited the Bedeque Branch on 31 July 1849 while visiting missionaries and members in eastern New England and Canada. He wrote in his diary that he "found 22 members and 4 Priest[s] in the Bedeque Branch" and "there is also 4 Saints in Charlottetown." William Maxfield, presided over the Bedeque Branch. Maxfield left Prince Edward Island for Utah in June 1850 along with his extended family, totaling 31 members. The branches were disbanded by the early 1850's when all members immigrated to Utah.

The next recorded missionary work began on 14 September 1942 when George R. Hawkes and C. Elmer Clark labored there for four days. They reported to the New England States Mission President William H. Reeder, Jr., that "many fine contacts were made and the missionaries received great joy from their work." On 15 November 1942, Reeder sent elders to investigate the possibility of assigning missionaries regularly to the island. On 10 April 1943, M. Dee Smith and Arthur D. Browne were sent to begin working in Summerside. The first convert was Irene Wyand, baptized 7 November 1943. She later left the Island and became an educator in Ontario.

During World War II pilots assigned to the Canadian Air Force or the British Royal Air Force joined the missionaries at Sunday School services on the island.

In 1964, Ralph and Gerda Waugh, recent converts from New York, returned to Prince Edward Island where Ralph was born. They contacted another member, Kay Callaghan and began meeting on Sunday in their home in Summerside. Elder Boyd K. Packer, then an Assistant to the Twelve and president of the New England States Mission, visited the Waugh home with missionaries in July 1966. About two weeks later full-time missionaries were transferred to the island and missionaries have been there since. Later that same year the Sunday School in Summerside was made dependent on the Moncton Branch, New Brunswick.

Ralph Waugh became the first president of the Summerside Branch on 21 December 1969. In 1974, the branch was divided and the Charlottetown Branch was formed on 28 September. The Prince Edward Island District was organized on 13 April 1980 with A. Michael Shumate as president. Gordon B. Hinckley, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve, with his wife Marjorie, visited the island on 21 September 1980, along with the Canada-Halifax Mission president James A. Kenning.

The Church continued to grow on the island and by 1982, Prince Edward Island District had branches in Montague, Summerside and Charlottetown. The island's first meetinghouse was completed in Summerside on 18 June 1983. A meetinghouse in Charlottetown was completed on 14 July 1984. The Montague Branch was formed 20 July 1981 and a meetinghouse was completed there in June 1988. The three branches became part of the Saint John New Brunswick Stake on 26 July 1988.

On 12 February 1998, many members from Prince Edward Island journeyed to Halifax, Nova Scotia, to see President Gordon B. Hinckley as he addressed members from throughout the Maritime provinces. On 14 November 1999, President Hinckley dedicated the Halifax Nova Scotia Temple.

In 2002, membership reached 374; and 382 in 2003.

Sources: Andrew Jenson, Encyclopedic History of the Church, 1941; Melvin S. Tagg, A History of the Mormon Church in Canada, 1968; Ralph Waugh, A History of the Church: Prince Edward Island, 1997; Scott G. Kenney, ed., Wilford Woodruff Journals, 1833-1898, 1982; Eleanor Knowles, "The Saints in Canada's Maritime Provinces," Ensign, June 1974; Sheridan R. Sheffield, Prince Edward Island: Members Find Peace in 'Little Land' Where 'You Find Your Soul,'" Church News, 10 July 1993; Sheridan R, Sheffield, "Maritime Provinces: Members' Commitment to Gospel Keeps Church Growing," Church News, 24 October 1992; New England Mission, Manuscript history and historical reports, Church Archives; Canadian Mission, Manuscript history and historical report, Church Archives, Prince Edward Island District, Manuscript history and historical report, Church Archives.

QUEBEC

Jan. 1, 2009: Est. population, 7,598,000; Members, 10,226; Stakes, 3; Wards, 17; Branches, 16; Missions, 1; Districts, 1; Temples, 1; Percent LDS, 0.13, or one in 743; North America Northeast Area.

Early missionaries in the 1830s frequently traveled through Lower Canada, as the province of Quebec was then called, but found little success. However, in the summer of 1836, Hazen Aldrich and Winslow Farr labored in Stanstead County, and baptized 11 people. Twenty-three members in the area departed for Nauvoo on 20 July 1837.

Converts also migrated from the community of Eardley, north of Ottawa. By the early 1850s, most members had gone to Utah. After the 1850s, there were no known Latter-day Saints in Quebec until the Canadian Mission was re-opened on 22 April 1919 with Nephi Jensen president. By 30 July 1921, an English- speaking branch began meeting in Montreal. A meetinghouse for this branch was purchased and dedicated on 25 June1942 by Elder Joseph Fielding Smith of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.

On 20 April 1961, mission President Thomas S. Monson sent two French-speaking missionaries into the area around Montreal. By 18 June, four additional French-speaking missionaries joined them.? The missionaries found investigators who joined the Church and established a base that attracted Latter-day Saint French-speaking immigrants. From this effort, missionaries entered Quebec City where a branch was started on 6 April 1969. The Quebec Mission (later changed to the Canada Montreal Mission) was created on 18 March 1972, and by 1974, a French-speaking district was created.

By 1987, membership among the French-speaking people was 2,753, about 65 percent of the total membership in the province. These converts tended to stay in Quebec instead of moving to Utah as many of their English-speaking counterparts did.

The Montreal Quebec Stake, considered the first French-speaking stake in North America, was created on 18 June 1978. On 22 July 1980, the English-speaking Montreal Quebec Mount Royale Stake was created from the Ottawa Ontario Stake. In addition, many Hispanics immigrated to Montreal, and by 2000, there were two Spanish-speaking wards in the city.

President Gordon B. Hinckley addressed 3,000 members in Montreal on 6 August 1998, and announced a temple to be built in the city. The Montreal Canada Temple, the sixth in Canada, was dedicated 4 June 2000.

In 2003, there were 9,349 members.

Sources: Andrew Jenson, Encyclopedic History of the Church, 1941: Melvin S. Tagg, A History of the Mormon Church in Canada, 1968; Richard E. Bennett, "Canada: From Struggling Seed, the Church has Risen to Branching Maple," Ensign, September 1988; Marueen Ursenbach Beecher, "Converts in Quebec," Church News, 24 June 1978; Canadian Mission, Manuscript history and historical reports, Church Archives; Journal History, Church Library.

Stakes — 3

(Listed alphabetically as of Oct. 1, 2009.)

No. / Name / Organized / First President

North America Northeast Area

2720 / Longueuil Quebec 7 May 2006 Pierre-Paul Morin

943 / Montreal Quebec / 18 Jun 1978 / Gerard C. Pelchat

1160 / Montreal Quebec Mount Royal / 6 Jul 1980 / Ian Gillespie Wilson

Mission — 1

(As of Oct. 1, 2009; shown with historical number.)

(99a) CANADA MONTREAL MISSION

1320 Blvd Graham, Suite 110

Ville Mont-Royal, Quebec H3P 3C8, Canada

SASKATCHEWAN

Jan. 1, 2009: Est. population, 994,000; Members, 5,350; Stakes, 2; Wards, 8; Branches, 9; Districts, 0; Temples, 1; percent LDS, .54, or one in 186; Canada Winnipeg Mission; North America Central Area.

Around the early 1920s a few Latter-day Saints moved to Saskatchewan, mostly from Alberta and settled in Saskatoon, Regina, and other communities. About that same time, G. Gordon Whyte of Moose Jaw acquired a copy of the Book of Mormon, accepted it as being true and requested baptism. He was baptized on 17 August 1923 in Moose Jaw. He is the first known convert in the province. That same year, Whyte and Northern States Mission president John G. Allred, held a street meeting in Regina.

The first missionaries sent to work in Saskatchewan in the summer of 1925 were Raymond L. Allen and Alma Ward. They were assigned by the North Central States Mission to work in Saskatoon and Leo E. Nelson and Theodore Reynolds who were assigned to work in Regina. The North Saskatchewan and South Saskatchewan districts were organized on 6 August of that year. On 30 May 1927 the North Saskatchewan District was dissolved and recombined with the South Saskatchewan District to form the Saskatchewan District.

A Sunday School was organized on 8 May 1927 in Regina with Gordon Whyte as superintendent. It became a branch on 27 May 1934 also with Whyte as president. That year, Latter-day Saint farmers in southern Alberta and their neighbors donated two boxcars of vegetables and food to families in Saskatchewan suffering from the effects of a severe drought. Among those receiving the aid were 20 families in the Regina Branch. A meetinghouse was dedicated for the Regina Branch in 1939.

The Saskatchewan District was incorporated into the Western Canadian Mission on 6 December 1942. This was done in part because it was easier for Church members to pay tithing to mission headquarters in Edmonton. Progress in the area proved difficult during World War II as most missionaries were drafted into the military. This left local members to handle the missionary effort. Full-time sister missionaries, however, were assigned to work in Regina on 6 December 1943.

On 3 September 1961 the North Saskatchewan District was organized. Seminary classes were held in the Saskatoon Branch on 27 September 1965. An Indian seminary program also began in 1965 with children on the Piapot, Carry-the-Kettle and Cowesses reserves east of Regina.

The first known meetinghouse built by the Church was dedicated in Regina on 19 May 1967. The first stake in Saskatchewan was created in Saskatoon on 5 November 1978, from a consolidation of the Regina and Saskatoon districts. The stake then covered the entire province of Saskatchewan and parts of Alberta and Manitoba.

The Regina Saskatchewan Temple was dedicated on 14 November 1999, by President Boyd K. Packer, acting President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Two years later, the Regina Saskatchewan Stake was organized on 27 October 2001.

In 2002, membership reached 4,826; and 4,833 in 2003.

Sources: Andrew Jenson, Encyclopedic History of the Church, 1941; North Central States Mission, Manuscript history and historical reports, Church Archives; Wilbur Gordon Hackney, History of the Western Canadian Mission, thesis, 1950; Carol Cornwall Madsen "The Christian Way," Church News, 1 July 1978; "Pres. Hunter Returns from Mission Tour, Church News, 5 July 1950; "3 New Stakes Formed in U.S., Canada, 3 Others Reorganized," Church News, 18 November 1978; Liahona, 28 July 1925; Melvin S. Tagg, A History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Canada, 1830-1963, thesis, 1963; Melvin S. Tagg, A History of the Mormon Church in Canada, 1968; Western Canadian Mission, History, 1941-1948, Church Archives; Regina Saskatchewan District, Manuscript history, Church Archives; Saskatoon Branch, Manuscript history and historical reports, Church Archives; Saskatchewan Stake, Manuscript history and historical reports, 1986.

Stakes — 2

(As of Oct. 1, 2009.)

No. / Name / Organized / First President

North America Central Area

2607 / Regina Saskatchewan / 27 Oct 2001 / E. Gregg Wood

978 / Saskatoon Saskatchewan / 5 Nov 1978 / Noel W. Burt

NORTHWEST TERRITORIES & NUNAVUT

Jan. 1, 2009: Est. population, 71,800; Members, 147; Branches, 2; percent LDS, .2, or one in 488; North America Central Area; Canada Edmonton Mission.

Although the Northwest Territories had been nominally under the jurisdiction of the Western Canadian Mission since 1947, the first branch of the Church in the area was not established until 1963. As Church members moved to Inuvik on the Mackenzie River delta, where the Canadian Armed Forces maintained a small military base, the Latter-day Saint population grew enough for the establishment of a Sunday School and then a dependent branch that year. In 1967 the branch had grown large enough to achieve independent status. This small branch continued until 1973, when the declining Church population at Inuvik no longer justified its existence. In the southern part of the territory, the Mackenzie Branch was established on 18 June 1967 to serve the needs of members scattered through several small communities from Hay River, Northwest Territories on the north to High Level, Alberta on the south. This branch was also discontinued after about two years.

In October 1967, the Mackenzie Zone was created to oversee the work in the northern part of the mission, including the Northwest Territories. In June 1970, the mission was renamed the Alberta- Saskatchewan Mission, then changed again in 1974 to the Canada Calgary Mission, but through both changes it retained responsibility for the Northwest Territories. In 1998, the Canada Edmonton Mission was created from a division of the Canada Calgary Mission and given jurisdiction over the Northwest Territories.

A more permanent center of Church population in the Northwest Territories appeared at Yellowknife, a gold-mining settlement that had grown gradually since the 1930s on the north shore of Great Slave Lake. It was incorporated as a city in 1970 and missionaries were stationed there about that time. Some were also stationed during part of the 1970s at Hay River on the opposite shore of the lake. Thereafter, missionaries were sent to the Yellowknife area during the summer months. On 15 May 1983, the Yellowknife Branch was established to provide Church programs for members living throughout the Northwest Territories and in the recently established Nunavut Territory.

Sources: Western Canadian Mission, Manuscript history and historical reports, Church Archives; Western Canadian Mission, Mission president's files, 1964-1967, Church Archives; Western Canadian Mission, Scrapbook, 1955-1970, Church Archives; Canada Calgary Mission, Manuscript history and historical reports, Church Archives; Lane Johnson, "A Dominion of Saints," Ensign, September 1988; Lethbridge Alberta Stake, A History of the Mormon Church in Canada, 1968; "Largest Branch in the World," Ensign, September 1988.

YUKON TERRITORY

Jan. 1, 2009: Est. population, 31,998; Members, 249; Branch, 1; percent LDS, .77, or one in 129; North America Northwest Area; Alaska Anchorage Mission.

Lying in the northwest corner of Canada's continental mainland, isolated by rugged mountains, the Yukon Territory shares a common border and many characteristics with its American neighbor, Alaska.

Government employment, military assignment, and work in the mines brought some of the earliest Latter-day Saints to Whitehorse, the territory's capital and largest city. Two of these were Norman J. Drayton and Robert M. McDonald and their families. The Draytons arrived in 1952 and the McDonalds in 1957. Jack Forbush and his companion, who were serving in the Western Canadian Mission, organized a Sunday School in Whitehorse on 1 February 1959 with Norman Drayton as superintendent. The first Relief Society meeting was held on 23 May 1959. Thereafter, missionaries irregularly visited Whitehorse.

An independent branch in Whitehorse consisting of the Drayton, Bailey, Sutherland, and Symchych families was created on 15 October 1963 with Norman Drayton as president. Meetings were first held in members' homes, then in rented facilities. The branch was initially part of the Southeast Alaska District of the Alaskan-Canadian Mission.

The first missionaries assigned to work full-time in Whitehorse were Grant W. Andrus and Fred W. Albertson. They arrived in April 1967 and remained until July. During this time they attempted to contact every home in Whitehorse. They baptized one person, Frances P. Foisy. On 24-25 July 1968 LeGrand Richards of the Quorum of the Twelve visited the branch and witnessed the baptism of four people. A meetinghouse was finished in 1981. It has since been enlarged.

The Yukon Interior Branch of the Alaska Anchorage Mission was created in 1979 to administer to scattered members (65 total as of June 2004) living mainly along the Yukon River. The Whitehorse Branch takes in the rest of the territory.

In 2003, there were 241 members.

Sources: History of the Church in Canada project files, Church Archives; Patricia B. Jasper, A Gathering of Saints in Alaska, 1999; Lethbridge Alberta Stake, A History of the Mormon Church in Canada, 1968; Whitehorse Branch, Manuscript history and historical records, Church Archives; Canada Vancouver Mission, Annual history and historical reports, Church Archives.

Sorry, no more articles available