BETA

This week in Church history

50 years ago

Additions were scheduled for the Laie Hawaii Temple as reported in the Oct. 29, 1960, Church News.

The temple had undergone other changes as well, since its original dedication by President Heber J. Grant in 1919. After extensive renovation, it was rededicated in June 1978 by President Spencer W. Kimball. The temple has been closed for more renovation and will be rededicated again on Sunday, Nov. 21.

The 1960 article reported: "Increased temple work and heavy tourist traffic has caused the First Presidency of the Church to approve the construction of new wings to the Hawaiian Temple and a new and larger Bureau of Information on the temple grounds at Laie, Oahu."

The new wings were to contain offices, special rooms for brides and locker and linen rooms, according to the article.

The new bureau was to include two lecture halls.

Sorry, no more articles available