This week in Church history

50 years ago

A change to glass milk bottles was among the news coming out of the Church's welfare program in 1950.

An article in the Nov. 15, 1950, Church News stated: "In a move to save expense and make the program less dependent upon current market conditions, the Pioneer Regional Milk Processing Plant has changed over to glass bottles. . . .

"Conical cardboard cartons previously were used."

To make the change, the plant installed a bottling machine as well as an "up-to-the-minute bottle washer. This device, equipped with high pressure steam, cleanses approximately 300 quart bottles at a time," the article noted.

The plant would turn out 15,000 quarts of milk in the returnable bottles each month. It also produced cottage cheese, buttermilk and butter.