Bicycle accident claims missionary

A full-time missionary from Salt Lake City died May 4, a day after being struck by a vehicle while riding his bicycle.

Elder William Tenney Angilau Jr., 21, was serving in the Washington Seattle Mission. He had been on his mission 22 months.

"Our hearts are deeply saddened and our sympathy and prayers go out to Elder Angilau's parents, family members and friends at this difficult time," said Church spokesman, Scott Trotter. "We pray that the Spirit of the Lord will bring comfort, peace and healing to all of those involved."

According to news reports, Elder Angilau and his companion were riding their bicycles in southeast King County, Washington, when both young men decided to cross a multi-lane road. Elder Angilau was struck by a sports utility vehicle. His companion was not injured.

Both missionaries were wearing helmets. The driver of the vehicle was not cited.

Elder Angilau was taken to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, where he died a day later. He was surrounded by his family at the time.

Elder Angilau's father, W. Tenney Angilau, is the bishop of the Twenty Fifth Ward, Salt Lake Pioneer Stake. Their stake president, Tracy Branch, told the Deseret Morning News that the family holds no ill will toward anyone involved in the accident.

President Branch called the Angilaus "a very humble family willing to serve the Lord in any way possible. They take this as a continuation of (Elder Angilau's) mission."

Bishop Angilau's first counselor, Kelley Haggard, remembered Elder Angilau as a "great kid," a hard worker and an unselfish person "who put others before himself."

Brother Haggard and his wife, Rebecca Haggard, said they were always impressed with Elder Angilau's steadiness and dependability. The young man always arrived at Church meetings well-dressed and ready to serve. "He was an exceptional example to all the other young men," Brother Haggard said.

Funeral services were expected to be held on May 11 at the Salt Lake Pioneer Stake Center.