Elder D. Todd Christofferson of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles spoke during the Saturday morning session of October 2021 general conference. He taught about the love of God — universal to all, yet personal to each individual. The following is a summary of what he said.
Notable quotes from Elder Christofferson
Summary of Elder Christofferson’s talk
Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ love each individual perfectly and profoundly. Because God’s love is all-embracing, some may project that thought to mean that God’s blessings or salvation are unconditional. “They are not. Some are wont to say, ‘the Savior loves me just as I am,’ and that is certainly true. But He cannot take any of us into His kingdom just as we are, ‘for no unclean thing can dwell there’” (Moses 6:57).
The love of the prophets of God is reflected in their warnings against sin. “They are not motivated by a desire to condemn. Their true desire mirrors the love of God; in fact, it is the love of God.”
The love of the Father and the Son includes expectations. “Because They love you, They do not want to leave you ‘just as you are.’ They want you to have joy and success. Because They love you, They want you to repent because that is the path to happiness. But it is your choice — They honor your agency. You must choose to love Them, to serve Them, to keep Their commandments. Then They can more abundantly bless you as well as love you.”
In acknowledging that God loves perfectly, each might ask, “How well do I love God?”
About Elder Christofferson
- Elder D. Todd Christofferson has been a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles since April 5, 2008.
- In 1968, he married Kathy Jacob. The two met at a football game — at the time, he had been helping with crowd control, and she was a Cougarette. They are the parents of five children.
- From 1975 to 1980, Elder Christofferson practiced law in Washington, D.C., after serving as a law clerk to U.S. District Judge John J. Sirica during the trials and other proceedings known as Watergate (1972-74).
Elder Christofferson in the news
- Elder Christofferson shared a story in a #HearHim video and blog post released Sept. 9 about what he learned from an experience in the Sacred Grove.
- During a Logan Utah Institute Devotional on Aug. 29, Elder Christofferson called on the “best of Gen Z” to avoid traps of reasoning claiming their peers.
- He spoke during the Hill Cumorah Pageant Commemorative Devotional broadcast on July 9, explaining why the pageant ended and why it was a blessing.
Elder Christofferson’s recent social posts
- Elder Christofferson tweeted on Sept. 3 about how loving and following Jesus Christ will give meaning to one’s life.
- On July 7, Elder Christofferson encouraged his Facebook followers to seek rest and renewal each week in Sabbath worship and at the temple, as temples begin reopening more frequently throughout the world.
- In honor of their wedding anniversary on May 28, Elder Christofferson posted his and Sister Christofferson’s engagement photo on Instagram. “From over a half a century of marriage, I’ve learned that marriage isn’t about two people giving 50 percent each — it’s about both giving 100 percent,” he wrote.