Elder Ronald A. Rasband of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles spoke during the Saturday afternoon session of October 2021 general conference. He shared seven “things of his soul” or things he believes that give purpose to his life and work in the gospel. The following is a summary of what he said.
Notable quotes from Elder Rasband
Summary of Elder Rasband’s talk
Things of the soul are clarified and deepened by asking questions, preparing to hear promptings, lifting sights beyond the ways of the world and giving purpose to work in the gospel and life.
These are some things of the soul: Love God the Father and Jesus Christ, the Savior. Love neighbors. Love one’s self. Keep the commandments. Always be temple worthy. Be joyful and cheerful. Follow God’s living prophet.
“When we are heavy laden with mistakes, heartaches, feelings of inadequacy, disappointment, anger or sin, the power of the Savior’s Atonement is, by divine design, one of the things that lifts the soul.”
The Church is distinguished by being led by prophets, seers and revelators called of God.
The voice of the Lord speaks through His prophet, President Russell M. Nelson, to calm fears and lift the sights of His children. Apart from general conference twice a year, “President Nelson is speaking much more often in forums, social media, devotionals and even press briefings.”
The most important words “we can hear, ponder and follow are those revealed through our living Prophet.”
About Elder Rasband
- Elder Ronald A. Rasband was sustained to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles on Oct. 3, 2015. He had served as a General Authority Seventy since 2000.
- Although he attended the University of Utah, Elder Rasband never graduated, due to a business opportunity. But in 1995, he received an honorary doctorate of business and commerce from Utah Valley State College.
- Elder Rasband and his wife, Sister Melanie Twitchell Rasband, were married in the Salt Lake Temple in 1973 and have five children.
Elder Rasband in the news
- Elder Rasband traveled to Italy in September for the G20 Interfaith Forum and declared that the world’s 5 billion people of faith need to unite against religious persecution and for religious freedom.
- Speaking at the Orange County Multi-Stake Institute Devotional on Aug. 29, Elder Rasband taught young adults how to find answers to their questions.
- Elder and Sister Rasband were the concluding keynote speakers at BYU Women’s Conference in April and focused their remarks on the divine destiny of daughters of God.
Elder Rasband’s recent social posts
- In a Sep. 14 social media post, Elder Rasband shared pictures from the G20 Interfaith Forum, and called the opportunity to “meet and learn from so many wonderful and valiant faith leaders from around the world” a great blessing.
- Elder Rasband created a social media post on May 9 in honor of Mother’s Day and in honor of his own mother.
- “Whether you’re a sixth-generation Latter-day Saint—like I am—or a first-generation Latter-day Saint, someone in your family is a pioneer,” Elder Rasband wrote in a post he shared along with pictures from the Salt Lake City Pioneer Day Parade where he was grand marshal.