President Russell M. Nelson, 17th President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, spoke during the Saturday morning session of October 2021 general conference. He invited worldwide listeners to watch for three things in every general conference talk. The following is a summary of what he said.
Notable quotes from President Nelson
Summary of President Nelson’s talk
Every message given during general conference is the result of earnest prayer and spiritual preparation. Never in the history of the world has the knowledge of the Savior been more personally vital and relevant to every human soul. Devastating conflicts in the world and in individual lives would be quickly resolved if all chose to follow Jesus Christ and heed His teachings.
“In that spirit, I invite you to listen for three things during this conference: pure truth, the pure doctrine of Christ and pure revelation.”
There really is such a thing as right and wrong and absolute truth — eternal truth. The pure doctrine of Christ changes the life of everyone who understands it and seeks to implement it. And pure revelation for the questions in one’s heart “will make this conference rewarding and unforgettable.”
For those who have not yet sought the ministering of the Holy Ghost for the questions in one’s heart, “I invite you do so now.”
“Please make this conference a time of feasting on messages from the Lord through His servants. Learn how to apply them in your life. … I invoke a blessing upon all who are seeking greater light, knowledge and truth.”
About President Nelson
- President Russell M. Nelson became the 17th President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in January 2018.
- A renowned surgeon, President Nelson assisted on the first-ever human open-heart surgery using a heart-lung machine. In June 2018, the University of Utah honored President Nelson with an endowed chair in surgery.
- He and his late wife, Sister Dantzel White Nelson, who died in 2005, have 10 children, 57 grandchildren, and 140 great-grandchildren. He married Sister Wendy Watson in 2006.
President Nelson in the news
- In honor of President Nelson’s 97th birthday on Sept. 9, several senior Church leaders shared lessons they have learned from his leadership, ministering and example.
- President Nelson — along with his counselors in the First Presidency, President Dallin H. Oaks and President Henry B. Eyring — spoke at the funeral of Elder Dean M. Davies, a General Authority Seventy and former member of the Presiding Bishopric, on Sept. 4.
- At the Seminar for New Mission Leaders in June, President Nelson taught how ‘repeated, miraculous’ tutoring prepared Joseph Smith for his prophetic calling.
President Nelson’s recent social posts
- President Nelson published his first post on his Spanish Instagram account on Sept. 15 and asked the question: “Do you want to know the secret for a life full of peace and prosperity? The answer is very simple.” He shared a video of him speaking Spanish to members in Lima, Peru, in 2018.
- With the reopening of the Kyiv Ukraine Temple on July 5, every temple in the world has now reopened and resumed some level of operations, President Nelson wrote on Facebook. He expressed gratitude for scientists, health care workers and leaders. “May we cherish the blessings of the House of the Lord and attend the temple as often as our circumstances permit,” he wrote.
- President Nelson tweeted on June 14 about hosting leaders of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People and United Negro College Fund at Church headquarters. “We welcome these opportunities to build friendship and discuss shared initiatives that will continue to foster understanding and mutual respect,” he wrote.