Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles spoke during the Saturday morning session of October 2022 general conference. In his message directed to those of the rising generation, he reminded youth that Jesus Christ is their strength. The following is a summary of what he said.
Elder Uchtdorf’s conference talk summary
At the heart of God’s plan of happiness is the power to choose. Amid the confusion in the world about what is right and wrong, those who earnestly seek truth — eternal, unchanging truth — can see much clearer. Truth is contained in the gospel of Jesus Christ and taught in His Church.
“When you have important choices to make, Jesus Christ and His restored gospel are the best choice. When you have questions, Jesus Christ and His restored gospel are the best answer. When you feel weak, Jesus Christ is your strength.”
The Church has prepared a revised version of “For the Strength of Youth” to point young men and young women to Christ. This new guide is subtitled “A Guide for Making Choices” and focuses on values, principles and doctrine rather than specific behavior. Through His prophets, the Lord has been guiding His people in that direction, to increase their spiritual capacity and follow Him in higher and holier ways.
The Savior has “very high standards” for those who follow Him — the highest of which is the invitation to earnestly seek His will and live by His truths. Confidence, peace, safety, happiness and belonging can be found in Jesus Christ, His gospel and His Church.
Notable quotes from Elder Uchtdorf’s general conference talk
My dear friends, if the Savior were here right now, what would He say to you? I believe He would start by expressing His deep love for you.
The best guide you can possibly have for making choices is Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is the strength of youth.
Is it wrong to have rules? Of course not. We all need them every day. But it is wrong to focus only on rules instead of focusing on the Savior. You need to know the whys and the hows, and then consider the consequences of your choices.
Who is Elder Uchtdorf?
- Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf was called to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles in 2004. He served as second counselor in the First Presidency under President Thomas S. Monson, from February 2008 to January 2018.
- From 1965 to 1996, he was a pilot, captain and corporate executive for the German airline Lufthansa.
- Twice in his life, he and his family have been refugees. As a 4-year-old boy, World War II forced him from Czechoslovakia. Years later, the Uchtdorfs fled their home in East Germany in search of safety in West Germany.
- He met his wife, Sister Harriet Reich Uchtdorf, in their teens while attending a branch in Frankfurt, Germany, soon after she and her family joined the Church. Years later, following Elder Uchtdorf joining the German Air Force and completing his training in the United States, they began a courtship and were soon married in the Swiss Temple (now the Bern Switzerland Temple) in 1962. They are the parents of two children.
What has Elder Uchtdorf done recently?
- During the April 2022 general conference, he explained how to offer one’s whole soul to Christ.
- Elder Uchtdorf, a former refugee, promises Ukrainian refugees in Poland: ‘You are not alone’
- 2022 Sharing the Gospel broadcast: Invitations from Elder Bednar, Elder Uchtdorf, Elder Cook to ‘love, share, invite’
- Elder Uchtdorf offers apostolic assurance to FSY participants in Seattle: ‘Your strength is the Savior’
- Elder Uchtdorf visits Navajo community where the Church is helping bring electricity and water