Elder Ronald A. Rasband of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles spoke during the Saturday morning session of October 2022 general conference. He invited Latter-day Saints to flood the earth with the Book of Mormon. The following is a summary of what he said.
Elder Rasband’s conference talk summary
In the Book of Mormon the phrase “this day” is used to call attention to counsel, promises and teachings.
“Pressing upon me ‘this day’ is the importance of renewing our commitment to the Book of Mormon.”
President Russell M. Nelson is doing his part to flood the earth with the Book of Mormon. “But he cannot open the floodgates alone. We must follow his lead.”
Having personally presented the Book of Mormon to the king of Mozambique, the king and queen of Lesotho, India’s ambassador and many others, “I have felt the Spirit of the Lord with us … and borne my witness of Jesus Christ, the cornerstone of our faith.”
Individuals do not need to meet with kings and rulers to give someone this book. “I invite you ‘this day’ to give a Book of Mormon to your friends and family, associates at work, your soccer coach or the produce man.”
The book is easily shared on the Gospel Library App. “Think of all those who could be blessed by the gospel in their lives and then send to them a copy of the Book of Mormon from your phone. Remember to include your testimony and how this book has blessed your life.”
Notable quotes from Elder Rasband’s conference talk
No other book is as important to my life and my testimony as [the Book of Mormon].
One of the greatest missionaries of the Book of Mormon is President Russell M. Nelson.
I promise you will be participating in ‘the greatest work on earth … the gathering of Israel’ as you are inspired to reach out to those who have been ‘kept from the truth because they know not where to find it’ (Doctrine and Covenants 123:12). They need your testimony and witness of how this book has changed your life and drawn you closer to God, His peace and His ‘tidings of great joy’ (1 Nephi 13:37).
Who is Elder Rasband?
- Elder Ronald A. Rasband was sustained to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles on Oct. 3, 2015. Between his call as a General Authority Seventy in 2000 and serving in the Presidency of the Seventy in 2005, he served in the Temple Department first as an assistant executive director and then as the executive director of the Temple Department in 2004 — a position no other living Prophet or Apostle has held.
- Although he attended the University of Utah, Elder Rasband never graduated, due to a business opportunity. But in 1995, he received an honorary doctorate of business and commerce from Utah Valley State College, which is now Utah Valley University.
- Elder Rasband and his wife, Sister Melanie Twitchell Rasband, were married in the Salt Lake Temple in 1973 and have five children.
What has Elder Rasband done recently?
- During the April 2022 general conference, he invited everyone to champion the cause of religious freedom.
- First of 212 summer FSY sessions finishes with surprise visit from Elder Rasband
- Elder Rasband visits southern Africa, meets with Mozambique president
- What Elder Rasband and President Johnson taught Primary children in Alaska about the Holy Ghost
- Elder Rasband shares how the gospel’s joy abounds in Africa