Elder Jonathan S. Schmitt spoke during the Sunday afternoon session of October 2022 general conference. He said one way we can come to better know Jesus is by learning his many names. The following is a summary of what he said.
Elder Schmitt’s conference talk summary
One simple way to get to know someone is by learning their name.
Jesus knew and called people by name.
“Just as Jesus knows each of us by name, one way we can come to better know Jesus is by learning His many names.”
Just as President Russell M. Nelson and other leaders have said, Latter-day Saints can draw closer to the Savior and better develop His attributes by seeking to understand His various titles and names, and what they mean for us personally. Consider these five titles:
- Jesus is the Good Shepherd.
- Jesus is the High Priest of Good Things to Come.
- Jesus is The Same, Yesterday, Today and Forever.
- Jesus is the Holy One of Israel.
- Jesus is Faithful and True.
“Jesus wants for us to know Him because His is the only name under heaven whereby we can be saved. … My earnest desire is that you will come to know Jesus Christ by His many names and that you will become like Him as you exemplify His divine attributes in your life.”
Notable quotes from Elder Schmitt’s conference talk
Just as Jesus knows each of us by name, one way we can come to better know Jesus is by learning His many names.
As we come to know Jesus’ many names, we will come to better understand His divine mission and His selfless character. Knowing His many names also inspires us to become more like Him.
Don’t ever give up on Jesus — He will never give up on you.
Who is Elder Schmitt?
- Elder Jonathan S. Schmitt has served as a General Authority Seventy since April 2022.
- A native of Mesa, Arizona, Elder Schmitt and his family have enjoyed running marathons and hiking the Grand Canyon.
- Before his call as a General Authority Seventy, Elder Schmitt was an attorney and administrator at Arizona State University.
What has Elder Schmitt done recently?
Elder Schmitt was one of six new General Authority Seventies called and sustained at April 2022 general conference. This is his first opportunity to speak in general conference.