Elder Ulisses Soares of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles spoke during the Sunday morning session of April 2023 general conference. In a world of personal attacks and heated disputes, Elder Soares taught about developing Christlike attributes that promote the Savior’s peace. Following is a summary of what he said.
Elder Soares’ talk summary
Jesus Christ perfectly demonstrated attributes of charity and forgiveness in the events leading to His death. As followers of Jesus Christ, Latter-day Saints are His peculiar people, called to proclaim His virtues and promote the peace available through His atoning sacrifice.
“This peace is a gift promised to all who turn their hearts to the Savior and live righteously; such peace gives us the strength to enjoy mortal life and enables us to endure the painful trials of our journey.”
Today there are some who engage in negative attacks and heated disputes that result in disappointment, wounded hearts and hostility.
“As the Lord’s peculiar people and promoters of His peace, we cannot afford to allow these tricks of the evil one to take place in our hearts. We cannot carry such a corrosive burden that destroys feelings, relationships and even lives. The gospel represents good tidings of great joy.”
Latter-day Saints should consider ways to be uplifting, supporting, understanding and forgiving, as well as look for the good in others.
“I promise you that as we pursue and develop these attributes, we will become more and more cordial and sensitive to the needs of our fellow beings and will experience joy, peace and spiritual growth.”
One of the most evident signs that we are drawing closer to the Savior and becoming more like Him is the loving, patient and kind way with which we treat our fellow beings, whatever the circumstances.
If we are not careful with our thoughts, words and actions, we may end up being entangled by the cunning tricks of the enemy, destroying our relationships with the people around us and our loved ones.
As we strive to develop attributes like the Savior’s, we can become instruments of His peace in the world.
Who is Elder Soares?
- Elder Ulisses Soares was sustained a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles on March 31, 2018. Born in São Paulo, Brazil, he is the first and only Apostle from South America to serve in the quorum.
- Both Elder Soares and his wife, Sister Rosana Fernandes Soares, served in the Brazil Rio de Janeiro Mission. They began dating after their missions when they ran into each other at a stake dance. They have three children.
- Elder Soares was an accountant and auditor for multinational corporations in Brazil and, later, director for temporal affairs in the Church area office in São Paulo, Brazil.
What has Elder Soares done recently?
- During the October 2022 general conference, he taught about the unity that comes from true partnership and fulfilling divine responsibilities in marriage relationships.
- In January, Elder Soares taught BYU–Hawaii students about Christ’s “compassionate pattern” in a devotional.
- In February, Elder and Sister Soares spoke in the first devotional of its kind for Portuguese-speaking Latter-day Saints in the Utah Area about finding shelter in Christ from life’s tornadoes.
- In March, Elder Soares met with the prime minister of Tonga.