Elder Ronald A. Rasband of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles spoke during the Saturday afternoon session of October 2023 general conference. He invited more members to serve senior missions and spoke on the blessings that would follow. The following is a summary of what he said.
Elder Rasband’s talk summary
The gathering of Israel is the most important thing happening on earth today. “It follows that to gather Israel we need missionaries. Many more than are serving.” The Lord and the Church need more senior couples to serve as missionaries.
Senior missionaries “are a remarkable force for good, seasoned in the Church, and poised to encourage and rescue God’s children.”
The opportunities available to senior missionaries range from working in mission offices, family history centers or historic sites, to helping in employment centers or on Church farms. “The particulars of ways to serve, what best suits you, where you are needed and how you can get ready to go are addressed on the website ‘Senior Missionary.’ …
“A mission might be the greatest chapter in a couple’s life.”
Many couples who have served missions “have described growing closer to the Lord and closer to one another, feeling the Spirit of the Lord pour down upon them, and knowing they are making a difference.”
Dedicated service to Jesus Christ will inspire and bless one’s family, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. “As an Apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ, I ask you to serve as a missionary in the gathering of Israel and perhaps even serve again.”
You are a remarkable force for good, seasoned in the Church, and poised to encourage and rescue God’s children.
A mission might be the greatest chapter in a couple’s life.
As an Apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ, I ask you to serve as a missionary in the gathering of Israel and perhaps even serve again.
Who is Elder Rasband?
- Elder Ronald A. Rasband was sustained to the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles on Oct. 3, 2015. Between his call as a General Authority Seventy in 2000 and serving in the Presidency of the Seventy in 2005, he served in the Temple Department first as an assistant executive director and then as the executive director of the Temple Department in 2004 — a position no other living prophet or apostle has held.
- Although he attended the University of Utah, Elder Rasband never graduated, due to a business opportunity. But in 1995, he received an honorary doctorate of business and commerce from Utah Valley State College, which is now Utah Valley University.
- Elder Rasband and his wife, Sister Melanie Twitchell Rasband, were married in the Salt Lake Temple in 1973 and have five children. They recently celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary.
What has Elder Rasband done recently?
- During the April 2023 general conference, he spoke on ways the doctrine of Holy Week applies to one’s life.
- Elder Rasband ministered to Latter-day Saints in France, Germany and Armenia in April 2023.
- During the 2023 Seminar for New Mission Leaders, Elder Rasband spoke on “Preach My Gospel” Chapter 9, “Find People To Teach,” on June 23.
- Elder Rasband spoke at a Spanish-language devotional in Mexico City, Mexico, about the importance of education, on Sept. 17.
- On Sept. 19, Elder Rasband spoke at the inauguration of BYU President C. Shane Reese.
- Senior missionary service was discussed on this episode of the Church News podcast. And the First Presidency expanded senior couple opportunities in 2021.