Brother Jan E. Newman, second counselor in the Sunday School general presidency, spoke during the Saturday afternoon session of October 2023 general conference. One of the most sacred responsibilities is to help children come to know deeply and specifically that Jesus is the Christ, he taught. The following is a summary of what he said.
Brother Newman’s talk summary
When the Savior appeared to the Nephites in the Book of Mormon, He invited them to bring their children so He could pray for and bless them. Similarly, He invites parents to bring their children to Him. “We can help them know their Savior and Redeemer the way these children did.”
Like the wise man who built his house upon a rock, individuals must “dig deep” to build their lives on the Rock of the Redeemer, Jesus Christ. “We remove anything that is sandy or superfluous in our lives. We keep digging until we find Him.”
The rising generation must own faith in Christ for themselves.
Like Nephi, parents must preach of and rejoice in Christ. “We can ensure that the voice of the covenant people is not silent in the ears of the rising generation and that Jesus is not a Sunday-only topic.”
The voice of the covenant people is found in words of testimony by parents, in living prophets and in the scriptures. “It is there they will learn for themselves the doctrine of Christ. It is there they will find hope. This will prepare them for a lifetime of seeking truth and living on the covenant path.”
One of our most sacred responsibilities is to help our children come to know deeply and specifically that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the Living God, their personal Savior and Redeemer, who stands at the head of His Church.
We cannot allow our covenant voice to become muted or silent when it comes to Him.
Let us accept the Savior’s invitation and bring our children to Him. As we do so, they will see Him. They will feel Him. They will know Him. He will teach them. He will bless them. And oh how He will love them.
See the full text of Brother Newman’s talk: ‘Preserving the Voice of the Covenant People in the Rising Generation’
Who is Brother Newman?
- Brother Jan E. Newman has served as second counselor in the Sunday School general presidency since April 2019.
- Brother Newman married Lucia Price in the Oakland California Temple on Aug. 18, 1984.
- Brother Newman served a mission in France and Belgium and subsequently earned a bachelor’s degree in French from Brigham Young University.
What has Brother Newman done recently?
- During the April 2021 general conference, he spoke on teaching in the Savior’s way.
- Brother Newman shares how to navigate 4 critical decisions for students
- Sunday School general presidency shares changes to 2024 ‘Come, Follow Me’ during BYU Education Week
Read Brother Newman’s previous general conference address, or follow him on Facebook and Instagram.