- “We are seeking to bring the world to an understanding (of) — and a conversion to — the gospel of Jesus Christ. We are the ‘latter-day gatherers.'”
- “The Book of Mormon is the keystone to conversion of all of Heavenly Father’s sons and daughters.”
- “The Book of Mormon is true. It has changed my life.”
A testimony of the Book of Mormon strengthens one’s testimony of the divine calling of the Prophet Joseph Smith and his successors as well as of the Savior and His Church.
“As we better understand who we are and the purposes of the Book of Mormon, our conversion deepens and becomes more certain.”
A principal purpose of the Book of Mormon is to gather scattered Israel, which gives all of God’s children the opportunity to enter into the covenant path and return to the presence of Heavenly Father.
“As we teach repentance and baptize converts, we gather scattered Israel.”
“Brothers and sisters, let us be known as those who have taken Moroni’s promise to heart, prayed and received an answer to know that the Book of Mormon is true, and then shared that knowledge with others in word and, most important, in deed.”
Elder Bowen’s mission president invited his missionaries to read the testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith found in Joseph Smith — History every week.
“He taught us that a testimony of the First Vision would have a direct correlation to our own testimony of the gospel and our testimony of the Book of Mormon.”
How can you strengthen your testimony of the First Vision and the Book of Mormon?
- Elder Shayne M. Bowen was sustained as a General Authority Seventy on April 1, 2006.
- As of Aug. 1, Elder Bowen serves as first counselor in the North America Southeast Area presidency.
- He previously presided over the Philippines Area. When speaking of the effect the Light the World campaign had on the people in that area, he said, “There is not a more Christ-loving people in the world.”
- In 1990, Elder Bowen’s 8-month-old son died after inhaling a piece of chalk he found on the floor. In his October 2012 general conference address, he said, “Through very personal sacred experiences, the Lord gave me a new heart, and even though it was still lonely and painful, my whole outlook changed. … I was able to look forward with hope, rather than look backward with despair.”
- Elder Bowen presided over the Spain Barcelona Mission from 2000 to 2003. He has also served as an Area Seventy in the Idaho Area and a missionary in the Chile Santiago Mission (1973-1975).
- In the October 2012 general conference, Elder Bowen directed his remarks to parents who have lost a child or have questioned their own faith in a loving Father in Heaven.
- Speaking to BYU-Idaho students in a devotional in 2011, Elder Bowen shared two things that have helped him from being deceived by the adversary: his patriarchal blessing and knowing he is of the seed of Abraham.
- In a series of Mormon Channel videos, Elder Bowen and his wife, Sister Lynette M. Bowen, were interviewed by Sheri Dew on the experiences and of their lives.