Here are a few favorite quotes from President Ballard’s October 2018 general conference address:
1 – "In the Lord's due time, the additional answers, comfort and understanding about the spirit world he sought came to President (Joseph F.) Smith through the marvelous vision he received in October 1918."
2 – "We too can be comforted and learn more about our own future when we or our loved ones die and go to the spirit world by studying this revelation and pondering its significance in the way we live our lives each day."
3 – "The vision revealed more fully the depth and breadth of Heavenly Father's plan for His children and Christ's redeeming love and the matchless power of His Atonement."
A century has passed since President Joseph F. Smith received “a glorious vision” of the afterlife that would be recorded in Doctrine and Covenants Section 138.
President Smith’s great-grandson, President M. Russell Ballard, Acting President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, said the truths taught in that revelation offer “firm hope,” of a glorious resurrection through Jesus Christ.
President Smith knew much sorrow. He lost many of his closest loved ones — parents, two wives, and 13 children — during his lifetime.
He prayed fervently for answers and comfort and, in the Lord’s due time, received a vision regarding the spirit world.
President Ballard invited all to again read President Smith’s essential revelation.
“As you do so, may the Lord bless you to more fully understand and appreciate God’s love and His plan of salvation and happiness for His children.”
- President M. Russell Ballard joined the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles 33 years ago on Oct. 6, 1985. He was set apart as Acting President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles earlier this year.
- President Ballard was a mission president — the Canada Toronto Mission —before being called to the First Quorum of the Seventy. He also served in the the Presidency of the Seventy.
- Here’s what President Ballard has learned in over 40 years of service for the Church.
- His grandfather, Elder Melvin J. Ballard, was also a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.
- Hyrum Smith was President Ballard’s great-great-grandfather.
- As a young man, President Ballard served a mission in England.
- In his professional career, President Ballard was a businessman and worked in the automotive and real estate industries.
- On Aug. 28, 1951, Elder Ballard married Sister Barbara Bowen, whom he met at a dance in college, in the Salt Lake Temple. Sister Ballard passed away on Oct. 1, 2018, at the age of 86.
- President and Sister Ballard are the parents of five daughters and two sons.
Readers who prayerfully study Doctrine and Covenants Section 138 can gain a deeper understanding of the redemption of the dead and the loving breadth of Christ's Atonement.
On the Web:
- President Ballard is on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- President Ballard’s Facebook account recently shared a message focusing on hope and faith.
- On his Twitter account, President Ballard encouraged members to bear their testimonies.
Never hesitate to bear your testimony with sincerity and love. The power of personal testimony cannot be denied and often ignites in others the interest to know more.— M. Russell Ballard (@BallardMRussell) September 23, 2018
President Ballard has spoken on the advantages and dangers of technology in recent years and the importance of focusing on the Spirit. Here are a few of his messages: