1. The Holy Ghost is a proven source of guidance and inspiration.
2. A truth-seeking person can trust fully in a loving Heavenly Father.
3. The truths of the gospel are spiritual building blocks in realizing one’s potential.
Light and understanding come through the guidance and inspiration of the Holy Ghost.
Elder Held and his wife, Sister Irene Held, learned that truth after being contacted by the missionaries 31 years ago. "We read in the scriptures and came to understand the crucial importance of Jesus Christ as our Savior and Redeemer."
The Helds recognized the fruits of the gospel in the actions of the Latter-day Saints they met at Church. They were happy people who placed Christ and their families at the center of their lives.
They continued their studies and liked everything they learned about the Church. But they held off baptism because "we wanted to know everything"
"But, even in our indecision, the Lord was patiently preparing us, He was molding us, and He was helping us to discover that we should learn to discern the truth not only through our rational minds but also through the very still and small voice of the Spirit, which speaks especially to our hearts."
By studying the Book of Mormon's guiding words, they decided to be baptized.
"We learned that we can fully trust in a loving Heavenly Father."
The Helds also learned that the Holy Ghost's "still and soft voice" can speak to hearts and minds.
"If we rely only on our rational mind and deny or neglect the spiritual understanding we can receive through the whisperings and impressions of the Holy Ghost, it is as if we were going through life with only one eye."
In the news:
- Elder Mathias Held returned to his Colombian homeland to participate in the dedication of that nation’s second temple in December 2018.
About the speaker:
- Elder Mathias Held was sustained as a General Authority Seventy on March 31, 2018.
- Elder Held and Sister Irene Held have lived in South America, Canada, Germany, Guatemala, Brazil and in their homeland of Colombia.
- He has previously served as Elders Quorum president, bishopric counselor, stake presidency counselor and Area Seventy from 2016-2018.