Elder H. Bruce Stucki, emeritus General Authority, dies at age 81

Elder H. Bruce Stucki, emeritus General Authority Seventy, passed away on May 29, 2019, in his home in St. George, Utah, at the age of 81.

Elder Stucki is survived by his wife, Cheryl Cox Stucki, their six children, 20 grandchildren and a number of great-grandchildren.

Prior to his service as a General Authority Seventy from 1999 to 2006, Elder Stucki served as an Area Authority from 1995 to 1997 and as president of the England Manchester Mission from 1997 to 1999. After being released as a General Authority, he was called to serve as president of the Las Vegas Nevada Temple and served in that capacity from 2006 to 2009.

He was born Dec. 1, 1937, in St. George, Utah, and grew up in Santa Clara, Utah. After they were married in 1955, Elder Stucki and Cheryl Cox were sealed in the St. George Utah Temple in 1957. He graduated with his associate's degree from Dixie College and received his bachelor’s degree in business management from the University of Utah. He was the CEO of RMC Foods in St. George as well as a managing general partner of Rocky Mountain Co.

Elder H. Bruce Stucki and his wife, Sister Cheryl Stucki, in 1999.
Elder H. Bruce Stucki and his wife, Sister Cheryl Stucki, in 1999. Credit: PAUL BARKER, DESERET NEWS, DESERET NEWS

As a child, he had an experience with prayer that taught him a very important lesson. Before he was 7 years old, he was hunting rabbits with his bow and arrow near his home.

“Jack rabbits were everywhere,” he said in a Church News article. “One suddenly jumped up and took off in front of me. I pulled back on the bow and shot at it. I missed, but I thought I knew exactly where the arrow landed.”

Elder Stucki went to retrieve the arrow, but he wasn’t able to find it. He continued to look for it, but it was starting to get late and his mother was expecting him to be home before dark. He said he then felt like he should pray, so he dropped down to his knees and asked God to help him find his arrow.

“I no sooner finished praying than I opened my eyes and I saw the arrow right in front of me, right there in the brush,” he said. “I could never see it until I got down on my knees. I had to drop to my knees to pray before I could see.”

It was the first of many experiences where the Lord answered his prayers.

Elder Stucki’s ancestors came to Utah in 1856 with the Martin Handcart Company. His great-great-grandfather was rescued and safely brought into Utah from Wyoming. With his family history in mind, Elder Stucki rescued people throughout his life from both physical and spiritual danger.

Funeral arrangements are pending.