The October 2019 general conference is coming up this weekend. To help you prepare, let’s take a look back at the messages and themes from the April 2019 general conference.
Messages primarily focused on strengthening faith in the Savior, Jesus Christ and His Atonement. One prominent theme was individual action and accountability, as referenced in talks by the First Presidency and several members of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.
“As President of His Church, I plead with you who have distanced yourselves from the Church and with you who have not yet really sought to know that the Savior’s Church has been restored,” President Russell M. Nelson said in the Sunday morning session. “Do the spiritual work to find out for yourselves, and please do it now. Time is running out.”
In the priesthood session, President Dallin H. Oaks, first counselor in the First Presidency, encouraged the brethren of the Church to think about how today’s decisions impact the eternities.
“As we make current decisions, we should always be asking, ‘Where will this lead?'” President Oaks said.
President Henry B. Eyring, second counselor in the First Presidency, taught members of the Church in the Saturday morning session how to invite the Spirit to last longer in their families.
“Building faith in Jesus Christ is the beginning of reversing any spiritual decline in your family and in your home,” President Eyring said. “That faith is more likely to bring repentance than your preaching against each symptom of spiritual decline.”
President Nelson announced eight new temples to be built in Pago Pago, American Samoa; Okinawa City, Okinawa; Neiafu, Tonga; Tooele Valley, Utah; Moses Lake, Washington; San Pedro Sula, Honduras; Antofagasta, Chile; and Budapest, Hungary.
‘Time is running out’: How President Nelson’s conference messages reflect the past 15 months of his service
The 189th Semiannual General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will be held on Saturday, Oct. 5, and Sunday, Oct. 6, with general sessions at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. MDT. The women’s session for sisters ages 8 and older will be Oct. 5 at 6 p.m. All sessions will be streamed live on ChurchofJesusChrist.org and available for broadcast via the Church satellite system.
Here is a list of talk summaries from last April’s general conference listed by session:
Saturday Morning Session:
- Elder Ulisses Soares: ‘How Can I Understand?’
- Sister Becky Craven: ‘Careful vs. Casual’
- Elder Brook P. Hales: ‘Answers to Prayers’
- Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf: ‘Missionary Work — Sharing What is in Your Heart’
- Bishop W. Christopher Waddell: ‘Just as He Did’
- President Henry B. Eyring: ‘A Home Where the Spirit of the Lord Dwells’
- Take a look at these photos from the April 2019 Saturday morning session of general conference
Saturday Afternoon Session:
- Church announces 10 new General Authorities, new Sunday School presidency
- First Presidency releases Church’s 2018 statistical report
- President M. Russell Ballard: ‘The True, Pure, and Simple Gospel of Jesus Christ’
- Elder Mathias Held: ‘Seeking Knowledge by the Spirit’
- Elder Neil L. Andersen: ‘The Eye of Faith’
- Elder Takashi Wada: ‘Feasting Upon the Words of Christ’
- Elder David P. Homer: ‘Hearing His Voice’
- Elder Jeffrey R. Holland: ‘Behold the Lamb’
- See the Saturday afternoon photos from April 2019 general conference
- Elder Gary E. Stevenson: ‘Your Priesthood Playbook’
- Elder Carl B. Cook: ‘The Quorum — A Place of Belonging’
- Elder Kim B. Clark: ‘Look Unto Jesus Christ’
- President Henry B. Eyring: ‘The Power of Sustaining Faith’
- President Dallin H. Oaks: ‘Where Will This Lead?’
- President Russell M. Nelson: ‘We Can Do Better and Be Better’
- Here are 31 photos that highlight the priesthood session of April 2019 general conference
Sunday Morning Session:
- Elder Dale G. Renlund: ‘Abound with Blessings’
- Sister Sharon L. Eubank: ‘Christ the Light That Shines in Darkness’
- Elder Quentin L. Cook: ‘Great Love for Our Father’s Children’
- Elder D. Todd Christofferson: ‘Preparing for the Lord’s Return’
- Brother Tad R. Callister: ‘The Atonement of Jesus Christ’
- President Nelson: ‘Come, Follow Me’
- 33 photos that show what it was like during the Sunday morning session of general conference
Sunday Afternoon Session:
- President Dallin H. Oaks: ‘Cleansed by Repentance’
- Elder Juan Pablo Villar: ‘Exercising Our Spiritual Gifts’
- Elder Gerrit W. Gong: ‘Good Shepherd, Lamb of God’
- Elder David A. Bednar: ‘Prepared to Obtain Every Needful Thing’
- Elder Kyle S. McKay: ‘The Immediate Goodness of God’
- Elder Ronald A. Rasband: ‘Build a Fortress of Spirituality and Protection’
- President Russell M. Nelson: Closing Remarks
- ‘This is undoubtedly a miracle’: Latter-day Saints around the world react to 8 new temples announcement
- Photos capture highlights from Sunday afternoon session of April 2019 general conference
- ‘Choose you this day’: 1 theme Latter-day Saints can take away from April 2019 general conference
- ‘Time is running out’: How President Nelson’s conference messages reflect the past 15 months of his service