How can I keep my children and youth engaged during general conference?
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has a variety of activities to help children and youth get the most out of the 10 hours of general conference sessions over two days.
The following are some ideas found in a resource on the Church’s website titled “General Conference Activities for Children and Youth.” This resource is available in English, Spanish and Portuguese.
Get to know the speakers
- Download or print a recent chart of the general authorities and general officers of the Church.
- Pull up the online versions of leaders’ biographies, which include a brief personal history, interesting facts, images and links to their past conference talks.
- Watch videos from the “Special Witnesses of Christ” series in which members of the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles share their testimonies of the Savior.
- See videos from the “Meet the Apostles” series narrated by children. With fun images and clips, learn how these leaders obtained their testimonies.
Keep fingers and ears engaged
- Download the General Conference Notebook. Youth can use the fun, interactive pages to record questions they have before general conference as well as thoughts and impressions during conference. The notebook also has guessing games and a large section for notes or doodles.
- See also “General Conference Fun” in the Friend magazine.
Use apps and digital content
- The easy-to-navigate Gospel for Kids app gives children digital access to music, art and scripture activities, with links to child-friendly resources in the Gospel Library, Gospel Media and Family Search apps.
- In the Gospel Library app, youth can download the placeholder for the upcoming general conference publications. Once the placeholder is downloaded, they can select a session and record any questions they have. Then, during conference, they can record answers they receive.
- The Gospel Living app helps youth discover and share music, videos, images, activity and goal ideas, and other inspiring content. Posts on the Gospel Living feed can help youth get more out of conference.
- Youth with social media accounts can share their favorite talk from the general conference YouTube channel or how they were able to #HearHim during conference using #GeneralConference or speakers’ recommended hashtags. They can also follow Church leaders on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.