Menu
Archives

Kidnapped missionaries safe; two arrested

Two LDS missionaries kidnapped March 18 in Saratov, Russia, some 450 miles southeast of Moscow, were released unharmed four days later on March 22 - bringing prayers of gratitude and tears of joy from loved ones and Church leaders.

Elders Travis Tuttle, 20, of Gilbert, Ariz., and Andrew Propst, 20, of Lebanon, Ore., were serving in the Russia Samara Mission at the time they were kidnapped. Elder Tuttle had been serving 16 months; Elder Propst had been out a year.The First Presidency said March 22,

"We are all rejoicing that the missionaries are safe." Members of the First Presidency also expressed gratitude for the efforts of law enforcement and government officials in both Russia and the United States.

The Associated Press reported that Russian police have made two arrests in the kidnapping. A 44-year-old businessman and a young woman were in custody. A third suspect, 20, is still being sought.

In a statement March 23, Bruce L. Olsen, managing director of public affairs for the Church, said Church leaders are pleased the suspects are in custody and added: "Elders Propst and Tuttle will be reassigned from the Russia Samara Mission to other missions yet to be determined.

"The Church plans to continue its missionary efforts in the Saratov area, as well as in the rest of Russia, where the Church has seven missions and 6,000 members."

In another statement March 25, the Church said that Elders Tuttle and Propst had left Russia to be reassigned, and "are doing well and recovering from their traumatic experience. They have each been examined by medical doctors and are in good health."

Elder Wayne M. Hancock of the Seventy and second counselor in the Europe East Area Presidency, who has been in Russia since the kidnapping, said, "The missionaries are tired, happy and grateful to be free."

According to the Deseret News, which publishes the Church News, the two missionaries were released outside Saratov. A ransom note demanding $300,000 and photocopies of the elders' passports had been left on a member's doorstep soon after the abduction. According to information released March 22 by the Church, the elders, after they were were released, were reportedly given rides back into town where they contacted Church officials.

The ransom was never paid.

"It was a tremendous joy we had yesterday," Pres. Melvin M. DuPaix of the Russia Samara Mission told the Church News on March 23. During the telephone interview, he explained: "[The elders' release] was the result of prayers worldwide. In particular we appreciate the fasting and prayers that the missionaries in our mission did, and we're aware that others in other missions did. [The elders' safe return] was thrilling and brought tears to many eyes. Everyone kept up their confidence and faith. It was just tremendous."

The mission president reported that his missionaries are working toward returning to normalcy.

"It was quite a time," he related. "Everyone had to pull together and all the proper officials and government officials did what was needed in Saratov. The missionaries throughout the mission just had a lot of courage and patience and faith and just held up very well. Obviously, they had a lot of concern for their fellow elders.

"We've had a lot of heartfelt concern for the ordeal the parents went through. We're grateful they could have such a wonderful end in the good news they've heard."

Newsletters
Subscribe for free and get daily or weekly updates straight to your inbox
The three things you need to know everyday
Highlights from the last week to keep you informed