Elder Gary E. Stevenson of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles spoke during the Saturday afternoon session of October 2021 general conference. He taught that the gospel is plain, precious and simple. The following is a summary of what he said.
Notable quotes from Elder Stevenson
Summary of Elder Stevenson’s talk
Two elements of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ are (1) God’s work of salvation and exaltation, which “focuses on divinely appointed responsibilities,” and (2) “The gospel is plain, precious and simple.”
“To receive eternal life, we must come unto Christ, and be perfected in Him. As we come unto Christ, and help others do the same, we participate in God’s work of salvation and exaltation, which focuses on divinely appointed responsibilities.”
These responsibilities are simple, inspirational, motivating and doable. They are:
- Living the gospel of Jesus Christ
- Caring for those in need
- Inviting all to receive the gospel
- Uniting families for eternity
“You might view them as I do: as a road map to return back to our loving Heavenly Father.”
“It has been said that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is simply beautiful, and beautifully simple. The world is not. … We should all strive to keep the gospel simple, in our lives, in our families, in our classes and quorums and in our wards and stakes.”
“Much can be learned from miraculous outcomes brought through the simple application of simple gospel principles.”
Keeping the gospel simple while fulfilling divinely appointed responsibilities “will surely bring joy and peace.”
About Elder Stevenson
- Elder Gary E. Stevenson was sustained a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles on Oct. 3, 2015.
- As a young man, Elder Stevenson served in the Japan Fukuoka Mission. He later served as president of the Japan Nagoya Mission from 2004 to 2007.
- He married Lesa Jean Higley in 1979, and they have four sons.
Elder Stevenson in the news
- Elder and Sister Stevenson led media tours of the Pocatello Idaho Temple on Sept. 13 — the first new temple to hold a public open house since COVID-19.
- In a May worldwide devotional for young adults, Elder and Sister Stevenson taught how vision and balance can lead to spiritual strength and peace.
- Elder Stevenson spoke during the Seminar for New Mission Leaders in June and explained how the Lord defines missionary success.
Elder Stevenson’s recent social posts
- The “pearl of great price” of temples is not the beauty of the design elements, but is “the ordinances, covenants, promises, and instruction received there,” Elder Stevenson wrote in a social media post following the Pocatello Idaho Temple open house.
- In an April 29 social media post, Elder Stevenson told of his experiences hiking Ensign Peak, a small mountain near Salt Lake City, and how he realized an elevated view gives a new perspective.
- On May 2, Elder Stevenson shared what he and Sister Stevenson taught young adults during the recent worldwide devotional about the need for vision and balance, and the role of “taking time for yourself.”