Elder Ulisses Soares of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles spoke during the Saturday afternoon session of October 2022 general conference. He taught about the unity that comes from true partnership and fulfilling divine responsibilities in marriage relationships. The following is a summary of what he said.
Men and women possess specific attributes and divinely appointed responsibilities and fill equally essential roles in God’s plan of happiness. Their differences do not override His eternal promises. “One has no greater possibilities for celestial glory than the other in the eternities.”
When spouses understand this principle, there is no superiority or inferiority in their partnership. “They become one in thought, desire and purpose with our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, leading and guiding the family unit together.”
The unity between Adam and Eve “allowed them to walk together with respect, gratitude and love, forgetting about themselves and seeking each other’s well-being on their journey to eternity.”
The responsibilities of husband and wife to nurture and preside are opportunities, not exclusive limitations. “One person may have a responsibility for something but may not be the only person doing it.” Loving parents “will strive together to protect and care for the physical and emotional well-being of their children.”
These responsibilities “do not imply hierarchy and absolutely exclude any kind of abuse or improper use of authority.”
As men and women work together in true partnership, “we will enjoy the unity taught by the Savior as we fulfill the divine responsibilities in our marriage relationships.”
“The restored gospel of Jesus Christ proclaims the principle of full partnership between woman and man, both in mortal life and in the eternities.”
“These special responsibilities [to nurture and preside] do not imply hierarchy and absolutely exclude any kind of abuse or improper use of authority.”
As women and men “work together in a true and equal partnership, we will enjoy the unity taught by the Savior as we fulfill the divine responsibilities in our marriage relationships.”
Who is Elder Soares?
- Elder Ulisses Soares was sustained a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles on March 31, 2018. Born in São Paulo, Brazil, he is the first and only Apostle from South America to serve in the quorum.
- Both Elder Soares and his wife, Sister Rosana Fernandes Soares, served in the Brazil Rio de Janeiro Mission. They began dating after their missions when they ran into each other at a stake dance. They have three children.
- Elder Soares was an accountant and auditor for multinational corporations in Brazil and, later, director for temporal affairs in the Church area office in São Paulo, Brazil.
What has Elder Soares done recently?
- During the April 2022 general conference, he encouraged listeners to live in awe of Jesus Christ and His gospel in order to be healed and to draw closer to Him.
- Elder and Sister Soares ‘marvel’ in return to Portugal
- Elder Soares’ Pacific Area ministry includes devotionals for all ages broadcast across New Zealand and Australia
- Elder Soares testifies to French Polynesian Saints of ‘the brilliant future of this gospel in this beautiful land’
- ‘Elevate the common good,’ Elder Soares tells world religious leaders