Elder Quentin L. Cook of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles spoke during the Saturday morning session of April 2023 general conference. He taught the doctrine of the gathering of Israel and invited all to review President Russell M. Nelson’s counsel to help gather Israel. The following is a summary of what Elder Cook said.
Elder Cook’s conference talk summary
Heavenly Father desires His children to be safely gathered home. His plan is based on righteousness, keeping His commandments, receiving ordinances and honoring covenants.
President Russell M. Nelson has repeatedly emphasized the gathering of Israel — a concept that has been greatly expanded by the Restoration of the Church of Jesus Christ and the Book of Mormon.
“Those who accept the gospel of Jesus Christ regardless of lineage become part of gathered Israel. With that gathering and the numerous temples built and announced, we are in a unique position to gather Israel on both sides of the veil as never before under the Father’s plan.”
Members and missionaries across the world are expanding efforts to gather scattered Israel, and growth continues everywhere. “Nevertheless, our commitment to love, share and invite can be greatly expanded.”
“My specific prayer today is for every child, young man, young woman, family, and quorum, Relief Society and class to review how we individually and collectively accept dramatic counsel to help gather Israel that have been issued by the Lord and our beloved Prophet. …
“The Lord expects those who have received His gospel to urgently strive to be a beacon light example that will help others come to God.”
An essential part of this missionary effort is for individual members to become beacon light examples wherever we live. We cannot be in camouflage.
Please understand that there are remarkable blessings in sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ.
The Lord expects those who have received His gospel to urgently strive to be a beacon light example that will help others come to God.
Who is Elder Cook?
- Elder Quentin L. Cook was sustained a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles on Oct. 6, 2007. He is a great-great-grandson of Heber C. Kimball, who was among the first missionaries to preach the gospel in this dispensation outside North America.
- He married Mary Gaddie on Nov. 30, 1962, in the Logan Utah Temple. They are the parents of three children.
- Elder Cook was Elder Jeffrey R. Holland’s mission companion in summer 1962 during their full-time mission service in the British Isles.
- Elder Cook worked as an attorney and business executive in California, including as vice chairman of Sutter/California Healthcare System, a California health care company with 25 hospitals and more than 26,000 employees, at the time of his calling as a General Authority Seventy in 1996.
What has Elder Cook done recently?
- During the October 2022 general conference, he spoke about the importance of gaining a personal testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
- At a devotional at the Provo MTC on March 21, Elder Cook encouraged missionaries to approach missionary work with urgency.
- Elder Cook ministered to members in Mozambique, Madagascar, Zambia and other African nations in February.
- He addressed Ukrainian Latter-day Saints in a member devotional originating in Riga, Latvia, on Sept. 11, 2022.