Young Women General President Emily Belle Freeman spoke during the Sunday morning session of October 2023 general conference about joining a covenant relationship with Jesus Christ and walking with Him. The following is a summary of what she said.
President Freeman’s talk summary
President Freeman broke her ankle before a trip to Israel but was able to walk a trail with the help of a rope and a guide. Jesus Christ does not ask anyone to face challenges alone. “No matter the heaviness of our story, or the current course of our path, He will invite us to walk with Him.”
This is the covenant path, beginning with baptism and continuing in the temple. A covenant is a contract and a relationship. Conditions have been set, and there are expectations along the way.
“His is a mission of condescension. Jesus Christ will meet us where we are as we are. … His is also a mission of ascension. He will work within us to lift us up to where He is and, in the process, enable us to become as He is.”
Some people have asked why they should walk the path or go to the temple or wear the garment. The answer depends on what degree of relationship they want to experience with Jesus Christ.
Start by learning of Him. Then invest in the relationship by entering into covenant with Him. No matter what age or condition, all can walk with Him.
“A covenant is not only about a contract, although that is important. It’s about a relationship.”
“He will work within us to lift us up to where He is and, in the process, enable us to become as He is.”
“Learn more of Him. Invest in the relationship by entering into covenant with Him. It doesn’t matter your age or your condition, you can walk with Him.”
Who is President Freeman?
- President Emily Belle Freeman was announced as the new Young Women general president during April 2023 general conference. She began that service on Aug. 1.
- She has been a speaker, author and podcaster, as well as a seminary and Gospel Doctrine teacher, ward Young Women president and ward Relief Society president.
- She met her husband, Brother Greg Freeman, when he was a full-time missionary in California where her father was the mission president. They have five children.
What has President Freeman done recently?
- She ministered on the Hawaiian island of Maui in September to youth and women affected by the Lahaina wildfires.
- At BYU Education Week in August, she shared ways to bring youth closer to Christ and let them lead in gathering Israel.
- Her presidency began a social media account called Young Women Worldwide for youth and leaders to find ideas and connection.