Brother Milton Camargo, first counselor in the Sunday School general presidency, spoke during the Saturday evening session of April 2023 general conference. He outlined how Jesus Christ is the solution to the world’s problems. The following is a summary of what he said.
Brother Camargo’s talk summary
Jesus Christ is the solution to even the most difficult problems.
Too often, people concentrate so much on their own problems that they lose focus on the solution — the Savior Jesus Christ. “Our covenants help us focus our attention, our thoughts and our actions on Christ.”
Cleaving unto covenants invites change. “Covenant keeping leads us to seek after whatever invites the influence of the Spirit and reject whatever drives it away.”
The sacrament prayer includes the words “always remember Him.” Thus, renewing covenants during the sacrament each Sunday prompts a refocus on Jesus Christ. “The word ‘always’ is so significant. It extends the Savior’s influence into every part of our lives.”
Focusing on Jesus Christ must also happen in the home, by making the words of Christ in the scriptures a daily part of life. The stories and principles will stay with children like trusted friends. “Over time, your consistency in feasting on the word of God will help your children grow closer and closer to the Savior.”
“The Lord Jesus Christ lives today. He can be an active, daily presence in our lives. He is the solution to our problems, but we must lift our eyes and raise our sights to see Him.”
“Don’t focus so intensely on your problems that you can’t see the solution.”
“I testify that the Lord Jesus Christ is the solution to even our most difficult problems.”
“Over time, your consistency in feasting on the word of God will help your children grow closer and closer to the Savior.”
Who is Brother Camargo?
- Brother Milton da Rocha Camargo was sustained as first counselor in the Sunday School general presidency on April 6, 2019.
- He was born in São Paulo, Brazil, and is the son of Helio da Rocha Camargo, the first Brazilian general authority of the Church.
- He was sealed to his wife, Sister Patricia Camargo, in the São Paulo Brazil Temple in January 1980.
- Brother Camargo served as president of the Brazil Porto Alegre South Mission from 1997 to 2000.
What has Brother Camargo done recently?
- During the October 2020 general conference, he spoke on how learning to receive revelation is essential to spiritual survival.
- In February 2023, he gave a devotional at BYU-Hawaii, telling students that gaining education and serving God are intertwined.
- During a March 2022 BYU-Pathway devotional, he taught principles and practices found in the scriptures that can help students persevere in their studies.
- He traveled to the Central Africa Area in March 2022 to provide leadership training, strengthen missionaries and provide support to members and their families.
- He joined the Church News podcast in December 2022 — Episode 114: The Sunday School general presidency on coming closer to Jesus Christ using the 2023 ‘Come, Follow Me’ curriculum on the New Testament.
Read Brother Camargo’s previous general conference address, or follow him on Facebook and Instagram.