Elder K. Brett Nattress, General Authority Seventy, spoke during the Saturday evening session of April 2023 general conference. He shared the story of a young man’s journey of repentance and forgiveness. The following is a summary of what he said.
Elder Nattress talk summary
A young man named Danny got involved with drugs and traveled down a path of addiction — “the light in his eyes had dimmed.”
But one day in sacrament meeting, his younger brother shared his testimony prior to his mission.
“During the meeting, Danny felt something he had not felt for a long time. He felt the love of the Lord. He finally had hope.”
Danny asked, “Can I really be forgiven?” Reading in Alma 36, he learned the “promise of complete and perfect forgiveness is made to everyone — in and through the infinite Atonement of Jesus Christ.”
Danny changed his life, and another miracle occurred when he served an honorable mission. But when he got back, he asked, “Do you think I have truly been forgiven?”
“I said: ‘Danny! Have you looked in the mirror? Have you seen your eyes? They are filled with light, and you are beaming with the Spirit of the Lord. Of course, you have been forgiven!’”
Danny moved forward with faith, married in the temple, returned to school and continues to serve the Lord.
“Danny wasn’t lost, and neither are we to the Lord. He stands at the door to lift us, to strengthen us and to forgive us.”
“I testify that our Heavenly Father always remembers us and that He loves us perfectly.”
“His promise is eternal: He will heal us.”
“To those who have strayed from the covenant path, please know there is always hope, there is always healing, and there is always a way back.”
Who is Elder Nattress?
- Elder Nattress was called as a General Authority Seventy on April 2, 2016. He currently serves as president of the Church’s Pacific Area.
- He met his bride-to-be, Shawna, on a blind date when the two were seniors at neighboring high schools, and they were married in the Salt Lake Temple on April 24, 1987, after he returned from serving in the California Sacramento Mission.
- He has a college degree in physical therapy, and with his brother started Advanced Health Care Corp. in 2000.
- With his wife he presided over the Arizona Gilbert Mission, and was also an Area Seventy, stake president and bishop.
What has Elder Nattress done recently?
- In October 2016 general conference, he gave a talk titled “No Greater Joy Than To Know That They Know.”
- In March 2023, Elder Nattress accompanied Elder Ulisses Soares during a ministry in Australia, New Zealand, Tonga and Fiji.
- He traveled with Elder Neil L. Andersen throughout New Zealand, Fiji and Australia in November 2022.
- He took part in the rededication of the Hamilton New Zealand Temple on Oct. 16, 2022.
- Elder Nattress and the Tongan prime minister in September 2022 discussed collaboration in humanitarian work and education.
Read more of Elder Nattress’ general conference addresses.