Elder Juan A. Uceda, General Authority Seventy, spoke during the Saturday evening session of April 2023 general conference. He spoke of becoming undershepherds to the Lord Jesus Christ by ministering to the one. Following is a summary of what he said.
Elder Uceda’s talk summary
The Lord Jesus Christ said in John 10:11, “I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.” In August 1994, then-Elder Russell M. Nelson said: “We are His true undershepherds. Our privilege is to bear His love and to add our own love to friends and neighbors.”
The role of an undershepherd of Christ is to minister to the one, as He did.
For instance, Luke 15 introduces three stories: The parable of the lost sheep, the parable of the lost coin and the parable of the prodigal son. But Luke refers to these parables in the singular, not the plural.
“It appears that the Lord is teaching one unique lesson with three stories, stories that present different numbers: 100 sheep, 10 coins and two sons. The key number in each of these stories, however, is the number one.”
Although one might be an undershepherd for many, “you always, always minister to them, care for them and love them one by one, individually.”
Latter-day Saints can minister to the one through the Good Shepherd’s assistance: “I testify that with our Savior’s help, we can love His precious sheep and minister to them as He would.”
You always, always minister to them, care for them and love them one by one, individually.
Can we feel the urgency in the heart of the man who lost only one sheep?
I testify that with our Savior’s help, we can love His precious sheep and minister to them as He would.
Who is Elder Uceda?
- Elder Juan A. Uceda was sustained as a General Authority Seventy on April 3, 2010. He has served in several callings in Latin America, such as president of both the South America Northwest and Central America areas and currently in the Brazil Area presidency.
- Born in Lima, Peru, Elder Uceda studied business administration and later graduated with a bachelor’s degree in public relations. He worked as a Church Educational System area director in Peru and Bolivia, and he owned a school in New Jersey.
- Elder Uceda met his wife the first time he attended a new ward as a recently baptized convert. After they both served missions, they reunited, deepened their relationship and got married. They are parents of five children.
What has Elder Uceda done recently?
- During the October 2016 general conference, he shared that God hears our prayers and is sensitive to our needs, especially when we pray with a sincere heart.
- Along with Elder Neil L. Andersen, Elder Uceda visited the governor of the state of São Paulo, Brazil.
- Elder Uceda will conduct the groundbreaking ceremony of the Belo Horizonte Brazil Temple on Saturday, June 17, 2023.
Read more of Elder Uceda’s general conference addresses.