The Church News interviewed several Church leaders about how principles of counseling at the general level can be applied to stake, ward and family councils. Here are 8 principles they identified:
- Understand stewardship: Leaders receive revelation for their own stewardships.
- Know your purpose: The primary mission of any council is to bring souls unto Christ.
- Invite the Spirit by preparing: Spiritual preparation helps foster a revelatory experience.
- Seek the Lord’s will, not your own: The Savior should be the center of every council.
- Make sure every voice is heard: Revelation is scattered among the various participants of the council.
- Seek women’s perspectives: Progress is made when men and women are unified and work together.
- Listen to learn: Be open to others’ ideas and actively listen, rather than waiting for a turn to speak.
- Seek consensus through revelation, not compromise: Once a decision is made, all move forward actively supporting it.
Read more from the Inside Church Headquarters series at thechurchnews.com/category/inside-church-headquarters.