Elder Carl B. Cook of the Presidency of the Seventy spoke during the Saturday morning session of the April 2023 general conference. He taught that God can help individuals overcome discouragement and keep going — with faith. Following is a summary of what he said.
Elder Cook’s conference talk summary
When faced with disappointment, painful experiences, personal inadequacies or other challenges, do not “let discouragement overwhelm us.”
God will help individuals overcome discouragement and other obstacles if they “look to Him, follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost, and just keep going — with faith.”
When individuals feel weak or incapable, the Lord can strengthen their faith and increase their capacities.
At his first stake conference as an Area Seventy, Elder Cook was accompanied by President Boyd K. Packer, then Acting President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.
During the leadership session, Elder Cook was surprised when, after speaking for 15 minutes, President Packer invited him to speak again. Praying, he was blessed with another thought to share. When President Packer invited him to speak a third time, “I was overwhelmed.” Despite wanting to run, “I knew it was time to exercise more faith.” Miraculously, he was able to give another message.
“The adult meeting followed the very same pattern,” and he spoke three more times.
Looking back, he is grateful he didn’t give up or resist. “In spite of my weakness, I learned that I can serve; I can contribute when the Lord is by my side, if I just keep going — with faith.”
“Regardless of the size, scope and serious challenges we face in life, we all have times when we feel like stopping, leaving, escaping or possibly giving up, but exercising faith in our Savior, Jesus Christ, helps us overcome discouragement no matter what obstacles we encounter.”
“Just as the Savior finished the work He was given to do, He has the power to help us finish the work we have been given.”
“We can be blessed to move forward along the covenant path, no matter how rocky it becomes.”
Who is Elder Carl B. Cook?
- Elder Carl B. Cook was sustained to the First Quorum of the Seventy in the April 2011 general conference and then named a member of the Presidency of the Seventy on March 31, 2018.
- After growing up working on a ranch, Elder Carl B. Cook enjoys horseback riding, and he and his wife have horses, cows, sheep, dogs and a cat.
- He met his wife, Sister Lynette Cook, while the two were students at Weber State College. They were married on Dec. 14, 1979, in the Ogden Utah Temple and have five children.
What has Elder Carl B. Cook done recently?
- Elder Carl B. Cook and Elder Alexey V. Samaykin, Area Seventy and president of the Europe East Area, joined Elder Quentin L. Cook for the May 27, 2022, meeting with two government officials in Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan’s capital.
- During a BYU devotional on Oct. 10, 2017, Elder Carl B. Cook told students to “cowboy up and learn to put off the natural man or woman.”
- In his first general conference address during October 2011 general conference, Elder Carl B. Cook spoke on how it is better to look up.
Read more of Elder Cooks’ general conference addresses.